close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wildfowl Bay Boat Question

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by emrducks, Oct 12, 2017.

1. emrducks

emrducks

Just purchased a cottage with canal access to Wildfowl Bay. I haven’t hunted the area before but have some experience on the bay south of Sebewaing. Looking to purchase a small boat to be used solely for duck hunting (family boat to be purchased next year) and requesting some opinions on what the best set up would be. Previously when I owned property on the Bay the water levels were low enough that I used a canoe to get to my hunting spots.

I’m currently contemplating 14’ as a minimum but getting hung up on whether a flat bottom would be sufficient or deep V a necessity!?!?

Thoughts, opinions would be appreciated.

2. craigrh13

craigrh13

She’s a rough bitch with a west wind. Get the biggest boat you can afford.

fishbuster, The Doob and smoke like this.

3. smoke

smoke

Depends on how and where you plan to run it. Right now a deep vee would go almost anywhere out there except up in tight cover. I run an 18' mud boat hull, true flat bottom
    (no ribs) and a vee rake front bow. Sometimes that boat seems small when it gets "nautical" out there. But, i've always made it back safe and sound, but not always dry. 14' would be my absolute last size i'd buy. Hardest boat to push imo. I'd go with at least a 16' boat and if you are going to run an outboard i'd get a mod vee or deep vee. If you are going to run a mud motor get a mud hull you'll be much happier if you do. The performance is night and day difference with the right hull/motor combo. Motor size for an outboard at least 25hp. Some may disagree with my choices, but this is what i'd be looking for.

4. John Singer

John Singer

If you have to cross rough water and do not want to blood in your urine, you want a V-hull and not a flat bottom boat.

adam bomb and The Doob like this.
  5. emrducks

emrducks

Thanks for the feedback...and thinking that the "duck only" boat idea may be dropped.

The wife is thinking that a pontoon would make a great family boat, which I would agree with, but the desire to utilize something like that for duck hunting seems like more work than I'm willing to put into it.

My dream boat within my budget (based solely on cyber information) for multiple purpose...duck hunting, fishing, family, ect. would be a Lund 1800 Alaskan SS. For me it seems very roomy for a duck hunting setup and fishing along with room for up to 7 for family cruising, swimming!?!?

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with the boat?

The Doob likes this.
  6. OnHoPr

OnHoPr

For the all around boat for the bay and other waters that one sounds like a good consideration. It will walleye fish, diver & puddler duck hunt, swimming, tubing & skiing, go to a park or island for a cookout with all gear (kids too), bluegill & perch fish, handle somewhat unexpected rougher water, you could always throw a skinny water or layout boat on the bow, etc. As long as it is camoed. lol

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  7. Hammertime989

Hammertime989

Sounds like your wife wants a comfy walk around boat. The lund is a aluminum hunting fishing boat.

8. walter sniper

walter sniper

Lund Alaskan 16 with a 25+ outboard.
    Good to go

9. emrducks

emrducks

Thinking I will be able to talk the wife into it...as long as she has a spot to sit in the sun while I’m fishing she should be ok.

I like the versatility of the Lund vs a pontoon. I won’t be buying until visiting some boat shows this winter so I have time to work on her.

10. OnHoPr

OnHoPr

Eemmm, a pontoon on the bay or Great Lakes??? I guess I have not been around the bay or great lakes enough, I never have seen a pontoon on them before. Or, I have never seen any in marinas. Ahhh, there had to be.

11. Tavor

Tavor

Don't know about Saginaw Bay, but pontoons have become insanely popular on Lake St. Clair in the last few years.

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  12. Fowl Play

Fowl Play

We run a Lund Alaskan 20 for ducks. It's used from ice out to duck close. Great family boat. Dad takes grandkids fishing. Boat is 19yrs old. We're on the second outboard. Boat is bullet proof

13. droptine989

droptine989

I've seen plenty of toons on the bay. A couple walleye charters use them as well. Guy down the road from me has a big one all decked out for duck hunting.

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  14. smoke

smoke

There are a lot of them on the bay. But it wouldn't be my first boat i'd buy. The Lund may be just the right boat for an all around rig for your family, especially with the water depths they are now. However 7 years ago you wouldn't have gotten to far into the marsh.

15. The Doob

The Doob

The SS model is the side steer. If it is going to be used primarily as a duck boat I would recommend getting the tiller as it has a much quicker response when maneuvering around decoys. Also, I am a Lund fan (have 2, 18' & 16' - both duck boats) but I have Yamahas on mine (my preference). Now that Lund is owned by Brunswick, all that comes on them from the factory is Mercury's

I would go with an 18'. There is a HUGE difference in the stability/capacity between the 18' and the 16'.