Wilderness State Park Fishing Advice

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by FredBearYooper, Jun 30, 2019.

1. FredBearYooper

FredBearYooper

Taking my wife on a trip to relax and maybe catch some smallies, I have no idea where to start from shore. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. shametamer

shametamer

waugoshance point to the channel between it and temperance island...with the late spring we had ,some smallies should still be in shallow(usually better earlier in june)....you will see the regulars casting or fly fishing the most productive pools (are you bringing waders?)

Greenyfish likes this.

3. FredBearYooper

FredBearYooper

Thanks! No waders, I’ve never really used them, would they be necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. piketroller

piketroller

Depends on how cold the water is and how long it takes before your legs go numb. Late August would be the best bet for wet wading. Surface temps are in the upper 60’s up there right now due to all the heat and sun over the last two weeks. But a good east wind can bring an upwelling of water in the 40-50 degree range at any time.

Greenyfish likes this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee

I fished there in August many years ago and even then my feet got pretty darned cold wet wading in tennis shoes. It is great fishing from shore and all I did was cast Rapala F-11s out into the boulders. Even a cheap pair of hip boots like Frogg Togg hip waders might be a good addition to your arsenal, worn with light long pants and thick socks. Might make for a more enjoyable day and they’re like $35.

6. BurlyCaveman

BurlyCaveman

I was out there second weekend of June. Hip waders were ok, but I had to bust out the chest waders to get to some of the spots I found more productive. At that time the water was vcold.

As far as I could tell they liked everything from topwater poppers to spinners to powerbait worms.

Stubee likes this.
  7. Brian027

Brian027

Well, I was there for the first time ever this morning. Fished with my son in law who’s been there a half dozen times. We drove past the campgrounds to the end of the dirt road. It’s thigh deep water right from the parking lot with spots up to your chest. We Walked through the water about a mile out and back. Water is cool, we wore chest waders and were comfortable. I was tossing wooly buggers and poppers on the fly rod, son was using plastic swim baits. We caught a dozen 10-13” fish in about 2 hours. My impression is it’s a pretty cool place to fish. there’s miles of shoreline to fish but it’s all wading thru knee deep water so it’s work. Good luck if you go!

8. piketroller

piketroller

All of the Great Lakes are at all time record high water levels since record keeping started almost 100 years ago. If you go back in the future hopefully it’s easier to wade. We are around three feet or so above long term averages.

9. Brian027

Brian027

Interestingly, there were two parking areas there. The one closest to the water was under water. As the wind picked up out of the north, it blew the water back out and when we got back the lot was dry. However, as we were packing up, the water was flowing back into the lot as the wind died. Be careful where you park if you go...

MickL likes this.
  10. msfcarp

msfcarp

I was also up to there middle of June, there were more guys than a I had ever saw before, I was somewhat astonished.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

11. bassman00

bassman00

It’s awesome fishing up there, our family has been camping up there for the last 60 years. We leave this week for our annual 2 week vacation. Can’t wait to get into the smallies, last year I got a 23” fish that was tagged.

A2Angler, vsmorgantown and bankerman like this.
  12. Jimbos

Jimbos

The weekly DNR report has been pimping Wilderness all year long along with the Carp River that's never happened before. IMO They'ret getting it from the tribal biologists who I seen analysing the Carp a couple of weeks ago.
    IMO the creel census worker in this area while she says she works for the state really also collects data for the Odawa.
    After what happened in the Traverse Bays I won't politely tell her squat.

msfcarp likes this.
  13. Jimbos

Jimbos

Stop by and pick up mine to use.

14. bankerman

bankerman

I'm heading up there tomorrow. Renting a cottage near Good Hart, I think. First time, so thrilled to hear about your 23"! Sounds like the week will be cloudy, hope that helps. Will flycast and try rapalas on a spinning rod.
    Sent from my SM-J337P using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Sprytle likes this.
  15. Kaka Filipo

Kaka Filipo

I'm heading up there next week. It will be my first time at Wilderness S.P..

I haven't caught a smallie in 20 years, and I own no waders. Hopefully a spinning rod, a variety of floating and jerk bait Rapalas and some Senkos will take me to the promised land. I would love nothing more than to get into a 18"+ smallie. Actually, I'd love my 10 year old son to do it more, and I'd settle for a 16".

Are there any fish in Big Stone Creek? How about wade or shore fishing Big Stone Bay? We're camping right near there, and I'd love to catch something near the campsite. Of course, I've never caught a fish in a Great Lake before, so I don't know what I'm doing.

nick 74 and A2Angler like this.