close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wich Is harder one the shoulders

Discussion in 'Archery' started by stickbow shooter, Mar 20, 2018.

1. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I have been shooting bows for over 46 years now. After two major shoulder surgeries ( both shoulders) and nerve issues in my bow holding elbow, It's been very hard to practice with either my compounds or Traditional bows. My question is wich one do you guys think would do the most harm to your joints over time ? .Being lets say both were shoot the same amount. I don't want this to turn into a get an xbow thread. I already have one.

2. otcarcher

otcarcher

Stickbows for sure, due to the extended time holding the weight. With today's modern bows, a guy could shoot a 50# compound for hunting quite easily. Couple that with let-off of upwards of 80-90%, and you're holding 5-10 pounds at anchor.

3. glucas

glucas

I think the compound would be harder on your shoulder than any stick bow, reason, at full draw you should be releasing, compound, until it breaks it's much harder of a pull. That's my story and I'm sticken' to it.

imjon and jr28schalm like this.
  4. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Depends on what exists after surgery ,how it healed ,and your rehab. And in rehab ,working with what you got means learning ability and adaptability .
    Muscle,tendon ,nerves and ligaments factor. How strong they are from use ,and how they affect each other count.
    Each situation unique. Your joints condition and what use and exercise do to them determines what effect shooting will have long term.
    I had a shoulder blade affected by a nerve that stuck straight back under tension for months.Still janky. Strange,but just how it was. Tried hard ,but groups with a compound were horrible.

With conditioning ,and having the ability....whatever bow is smoother should be the one to go with. A wrist strap to catch the bow might be needed if feeling in bow arm is faint. Drawing and holding has less to do with a joint ( if tendon,muscle ect. is healthy and developed) than hat touches and surrounds it.
    Bow arm elbow needs to be understood. Does a brace help? Is your bow arm extended fully towards target before drawing? Ect..

5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I have a brace that I do wear and does seem to help. I have always been a snap shooter with trad bows, not a see how long I can hold em guy. Plus have always done bull work for a liven like logging, lumber yard or cement. Do believe that has had it effects as well.

Nostromo and Waif like this.
  6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Shooting high poundage compounds ( 90-100 #) I sure didn't help either.

7. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I keep telling Cody I was getting one just mess with him lol. A big No one that though.

jr28schalm likes this.
  8. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I have found that the higher the let off is on a bow, the crappier I shoot it.

9. otcarcher

otcarcher

Lots of guys do that aren't used to pulling into the stops.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

That's true, I really liked my older bows better the ones with 55-65 % let off. Especially when shooting fingers. With higher let off bows I had to go with a release. Always tried shooting into the stops and even shortend up my draw length. Oh well I have had a good run , I guess the best thing is to stop shooting so much , try and take most of the spring and summer off since we will be cutting wood soon. Then try it again. Fingers crossed.

11. bwlacy

bwlacy

I would think it would really depend on the bow. With the compounds it really depends on the draw curve and with a stick bow if it stacks really bad or is smooth and steady.

I would think that with limited practice time a compound would be the best bet. Find something low weight and easy to draw. Maybe something like the Mathews Switchback or something similar. Or any of the target models from any bow maker. With the modern bows you could easily hunt with 45 pounds and proper shot selection.

I can't stay consistent enough with a stick bow unless I shoot often. Maybe you can and it isn't a problem.

12. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I have a Mathews Halon 6 32 wich does draw very smooth but still aggravates my left shoulder.

13. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Going to give my joints a rest for a good while. I have a 35 # recurve that I can start shooting closer to fall. Also can turn down the poundage on my compound somewhere in the 40s. We will see.

14. Corey K

Corey K

For as much as you have hunted and shot, I really don't think your Halon would aggravate your shoulder just taking 1-3 shots every other day or so close to season and during season. I really backed down on shooting my bows, my left elbow doesn't hold up long. I like just shooting 2-5 arrows a day and before I go on an afternoon hunt. Doing that I've ruled out longer shots though, I'm pretty much 30yds max on any shot right now.

jr28schalm and stickbow shooter like this.
  15. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

That's all I can muster up now a days, is a few shots. Like I said , Going to try everything before I jump into the xbow realm. You are right though, you only need to shoot a couple arrows to keep in shape. I am a close range guy when hunting also.

jr28schalm and Corey K like this.