Why you should buy fishing line based on diameter not lb test

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by tincanary, Oct 23, 2020.

1. tincanary

tincanary

textox, scubajay, MickL and 3 others like this.
  2. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I have to agree with you and I have not seen anything on the ice fishing about using nylon sewing thread for thru the ice. I would still use it today but it seems to have gotten much smaller the older I get

bobcolenso likes this.

3. MickL

MickL

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    tincanary likes this.
  4. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I use to use the sewing thread but nowadays you can buy 1# pound floro that is stealthier than the sewing thread was.

Scout 2 likes this.
  5. Crestliner 16

Crestliner 16

I've heard a lot of good comments about Sunline. The issue I have, is that I already have too many spools of line. I may have to start giving some away. But where to do this is a dilemma.

6. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

Nostromo and tincanary like this.
  7. 50incher

50incher

Sorry, sounded too much like a commercial for Sunline for me, lol....ratings, pounds, pull tests, knot strength's....diameter is only one factor, the rest is more important to me....

What a spool can hold, well ?....if it's small fish/Trout....or big fish/Musky....just pick a reel which will probably hold enough of line to not have to worry about it....lb test per dia. of any type of line is probably still up for debate, just saying/asking, lol....

Sometimes I think ya get good line & sometimes crappy line, from the same manufacturer as well, just spit balling, lol....good thread....cheers....

Fishndude and Scout 2 like this.
  8. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I use to use cheap line on the spool and the last 50 yards I would put real good stuff. Think about how the line has changed over the years. In the 50's and 60s 4 lb test line was probably the ia oof maybe 8 to 10 lb today and made of materials unheard of then

Crestliner 16 likes this.
  9. Crestliner 16

Crestliner 16

Some of the lines behave in the manner according to the user. A heavy hand in the wind is a recipe for line twist and knots. I watch my brother struggle with this all the time. He insists on using ultra light lines and fails to match his casting skills. I admit that I too have made mistakes on line choices, but I have plenty of those lines to be used for leaders.

10. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I luv fc sniper, its my goto for leader line. Absolutely luv the stuff. I'm actually looking into the xplasma line the sunline makes. Anyone ever use it, pros cons. I've always found that cxx was crazy crazy strong for the lb test it was rated at (favorite mono main line btw).

11. piketroller

piketroller

More like CXX is your favorite non-superline. It’s not mono. It’s a copolymer that’s stronger with less stretch than nylon monofilament. It kinks more than mono and has more memory, and likes to burn my thumb when I bomb a big cast without wetting it.

12. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Hmm, well tnks for the correction. Thought it was mono, well now I know, tnks!

13. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Something I always wondered. If you use the line without a lot of stretch does that make you lose more fish when setting the hook

14. piketroller

piketroller

I match the different lines I use to individual applications. The 17 pound CXX works great for throwing swimbaits on jigheads for pike. It took a lot of trial error with different lines and different rods in my arsenal to find the right combination to get good hooksets that don’t pull free later in the fight.

Scout 2 likes this.
  15. MickL

MickL

I think i've lost fish because i was using line WITH a lot of stretch. Can be hard to get a good hookset after a long cast and a quick bite.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020