Why is the ban now permanent?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by johnnybravoo77, Oct 13, 2008.

1. swoosh

swoosh

I am for the ban, but it was a slick move by the DNR.
    It happen way to fast, I think I hear a black helo:lol:

This was a plan move my DNR, I have no doubts about it. They saw their opeing and excuted carrots, apples and beets:p

2. tommy-n

tommy-n Banned

I have never shot a good buck over bait, always used it at SOME stands but never at others, When it was legal. Every good buck I have shot was either with a sex scent or just hunting trails. With that said, I have no opinion either way as to baiting or not baiting. Will it hurt the economy? heck ya, for the casual hunter it was just another tool if some people did not have the time to scout or did not want to make the time. I try not to judge others for what they do, everyone plays the game at different levels weather it's hunting, fishing or whatever. One thing thats for sure,There no substitute for time in the stand or woods. Did the mdnr and mda handle this correctly, probally not.

Just my two cents.

3. Jim Zellinger

Jim Zellinger

I think that they needed to make it perminate now or they would not have been able to do it. Look at the numbers coming in from the study of harvested animals. If they did not act until the end of the season, and they did not find another CWD case it would have been business as usual next year. Now at least they have the oppertunity to add further regulations. The real public pressure will come after the season this year. If the harvest is down, and many hunters that used bait in the past do not harvest a deer, there pressure on the NRC to allow baiting will be tremendous. Ad that to the farmers and retailers, and they won't have a choice. Now if and when they cave in to the pressure, they can add aditional regulation. Let us hope that this is the only case that they find, but I feel that baiting will be back if it is. It may be different, but it will be back.

4. swampbuck

swampbuck

I think that instead of looking at 1 cwd deer in a fence, people need to consider all of the diseases in michigan tb, cwd, ehd, psr etc. While it may be true that all of the facts are unknown, Baiting certainly carries risks that can be avoided. I believe that the DNR/NRC is looking at the big picture.

The was an article in the Roscommon paper this week were Rep Sheltrown conceded that with the NRC vote and court ruling "there is likely no chance that the ban will be lifted now" he also stated that only the NRC can lift the ban and that isnt likely as it was a unanimous vote.

Heres an interesting article from the michigan farm news.
    http://www.michiganfarmbureau.com/farmnews/transform.php?xml=20080915/cover.xml

5. Herb@BBT

[email protected] Guest

There seems to be a lot of people that are offended by hunts that take place behind high fences. Yet, hunting on bait piles is the same thing.... Yeah, it is, believe it or not. It is unfortunate that people get seem to think that baiting is the only reliable way to hunt. I agree that it is. Yet it is not hunting. It is the same thing as snagging salmon.

Hopefully people will go back to the way it was in the beginning. Hunting the way it was. Learning the way of the deer. Learning where to set up on trails or learning how to stalk and hunt.

I have hunted in a lot of states, and hunting without bait has been the most satisfying.

The permanent ban on baiting in Michigan is something that should have been done years ago. Perhaps some other things that go on in Michigan should have been stopped years ago. There just seems to be a mentality that makes people hold on to things that they seem to think is their right, rather than a privelege. I can say that as I have been there myself. You will never get rid of the poachers, you will never get rid of the snaggers. Perhaps , one season, you may have the privelege to teach some young person how to really hunt. I hope so.

Herb

6. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

You left out hunting bait-plots. That's not hunting either,, that's just farming and target practice. Oh wait,, lemme guess,, you've never hunted your food plots,, you just hunt the trails that go to and from 'em..???:lol:

7. kristie

kristie

Thanks for the link, I'd not read the article yet....very well written......
    that's coming from a DNR employee, regarding an article written by Farm Bureau.........:cwm27:

Kristie
    CWD Surveillance Central

8. oldrank

oldrank

Any chance that you could provide a link to that research ?

L & O

from wikipedia....Kuru (disease)

It is believed by some that the disease spread easily in the Fore people due to their cannibalistic funeral practices.[6] The dysmorphism evident in the infection rates—it was more prevalent in women and children—is because while the men of the village ate the flesh of the deceased, the women and children ate the brain, where the disease particles are concentrated. There is also the strong possibility that it was passed on to women and children more easily because they took on the task of cleaning relatives after death.[3] With elimination of these practices, Kuru disappeared among the South Fore within a generation.

I seen it on the history channel.......

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  9. poz

poz

Herb to each their own, why is there flies only sections in rivers, and catch and release sections??? Aren't those the same as hunting a fenced area or hunting over bait. What's the difference of me going to hunt The Sancuary and shooting a trophy deer or have you give me a guided fishing trip and help me catch a trophy salmon or steelhead? Both will yield the results that I currently cannot accomplish on my own at this present time. But one is frowned on because you don't like it, so you bash bait hunters. The other is okay because you make money off it. I'm not trying to bash you or say that your business is bad, I plan on coming up and have you guys teach me how to fly fish one day, but if you don't like baiting or game ranches, don't use them. Just the same as there i s more ways than one way to fish. there are different ways of hunting. Try to respect them the way other sportsman respect your practices

10. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  11. Beavervet

Beavervet Guest

Scott,

You can read a summary of it on www caids-wi.org/models.html (I havent posted enough yet to put URL's out there, so I couldnt type the link exactly,

and you can purchase the article off the internet at various sites as I did. What it bears out is that the model simply doesnt work. It was actually quite comical the affair at the NRC meeting. It is just an example of how governmental agencies put their blinders on to avoid any information that might weaken their forgone conclusions, it was clearly a done deal from the start.

The name of the research report is :Journal Review: A Critique of CWD Models - Chronic Wasting Disease in Deer & Elk: a critique of current models and their application.

• Eric M. Schauber, Ph.D.
      Alan Woolf, Ph.D.

12. Herb@BBT

[email protected] Guest

I must inform you that I am no longer with BBT. I have not been for a couple of years. I retired and am no longer in the guide business. I wanted to change my ID but could not and I do not want to reregister.

Anything that I post is from me and is not meant to be any type of affiliation with BBT.

As far as hunting over food plots, I do not have any. I do not own any private land in Michigan. I just recently purchased a place in Iowa and will be moving there soon. If I hunt, I hunt public land but usually in another state. I learned how to hunt whitetails in Minnesota on public land. We did a lot of scouting and stand building. I learned that not all trails were used by large bucks and that thick cover was one of the keys.

I have a propensity to throw things out there to see where it will go and whether or not I get some well thought out responses. I don't mean to offend anyone and if I do, I apologize.....

13. MERGANZER

MERGANZER

Comparing bait to hunting a high fence is not comparison at all. Heres the deal though, bait is gone and it probably will not be back so we have to deal with it. I do wonder why the UP is still allowed to bait though since they are connected with Wisconsin. I just feel bad for my friend who bought a new elecric feeder for $400 from cabelas and filled it with corn 4 days before the ban was announced lol. It will be okay we still have the same amount of deer in the state. I wonder if we will increase or decrease on yearling buck kills however this year.

Ganzer

14. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Realistically,, you'd have to believe that the overall harvest rate will go down,,, on all deer, with everything factored in. Gas, economy, baiting.. etc.. It's gonna be interesting when they get all their harvest data in. I honestly believe there will be too much political pressure on the NRC/DNR, they'll have to re-instate baiting, to a certain degree. Maybe not next year, but by 2010 is my personal prediction. There needs to be a major over-haul on the current tag system and by the time MI finally realizes there's a problem,, there might be 3 MILLION deer here!!:rolleyes:

15. captjimtc

captjimtc

Well for one the LP doesn't receive an average 20 feet of snowfall in a year like the western end of the UP does....the deer herds in the UP would be decimated by the harsh winters without supplemental feeding.. In the spring you can walk along the snowmobile trails and see literally a hundred deer dead from freezing in the deep snow while trying to jump off the trails. As long as they keep the ban below the bridge i could care less.