Why is the ban now permanent?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by johnnybravoo77, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ahoude23

ahoude23

I have no issue with the baiting ban, provided it is based on sound science, not speculation. I think all hunting rules and regulations should be based on science, not public opinion (dove hunting). The duck limits are adjusted every year for the protection of the species.

2. 6inchtrack

6inchtrack Banned

Actually, I think that the rancher sent the head of the deer to the DNR, Then the head was switched with an infected deer head. That’s why the DNR is reluctant to test the buried body or the soil.
    Like you said, The state biologist wanted to do away with baiting.
    If the deer came in illegal, then why send the head in at all? Why not just bury it and keep your mouth shut?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015

3. oldrank

oldrank

The facts show that all CWD in wild deer has come from game ranches........it has never just randomly popped up in the wild herd.......The question is why do they not ban game ranches?.......The baiting ban was a scape goat but is not part of the real problem at all.....and that just shows that the have been gunning for the ban for years......CWD was probably caused by ranchers feeding their deer a food that was contaminated with the prions of an infected "downer" animal. It was common practice to grind up the downer animals and use them to up the protein content in feed. That is where these diseases come from. Cannibal tribes have been shown to have CJD caused from eating the brains of other humans......Also other cases of CJD have been suspected to be caused by eating the brains of squirrels and other animals.....the ban will do nothing to stop this disease......until all game farms are stopped it will continue to pop up all over the place spreading into the wild deer herd.....

4. Surf and Turf

Surf and Turf Guest

Baiting will be back as soon as the state can figure out how to tax it. They know there is alot of money to be made here and they just want more than their share of the pie.

5. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Any chance that you could provide a link to that research ?

L & O

6. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

7. slayer

slayer

That is a great question and i believe i have figured out the answer .... They needed to do something about the drastic state of the economy in the U.P.What better way to do it that to draw huge #'s of hunters from the L.P. that think they cant hunt without baiting. That will certainly get things rolling again in the U.P just like in the old days. Cant figure out any other reason for it not being a statewide thing :confused:

8. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

9. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

The DNR thinks nothing of descriminating against the hunters in the lower penninsula, if it serves their agenda. There is absolutly no reason for the U.P. to have the right to bait and the L.P. not to have the right to bait.

There absolutly no reason to descriminate against baiters an outlaw (one thing) that hunters use that cause deer to congregate. When everyone knows there are plenty of other things that hunters do that congregate just as many, if not more deer.

IT'S PERMANENT BECAUSE THE SNEEKEY YAHOOS SAW AN OPORTUNITY!

10. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

Scott,
    If Miller isn't a member, I'd bet he agree's nearly 100% with outcomes QDMA is seeking thru management. He may not be a member merely because traditional management hunter types will cry conspiracy if he was a member.

I'm not sure what different state policy is/are on employee's joining habitat/animal improvement org's. Can Fisheries guys joing TU? Can waterfoul people join DU? Not sure what the state allows them to do.

11. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

Who are the "sneeky yahoo's"? :lol::lol:

Any names? What was the "opportunity"? To do what and why? Why would this secret organization of sneaky yahoo's seek to ban baiting? Why?
    To make their jobs less stressful? To lessen angry calls and angry emails to their inbox? To make future public meetings warm and fuzzy? To raise their respect in the eyes of the "joe 6 pack" hunter? :lol::lol:

12. MERGANZER

MERGANZER

The ban is permanent because the risk factors involved with this disease. I am more angry that the legal hunters in this state are beiing punished for the actions of a deer ranch owner. Here is the deal. In michigan baiting is part of the hunting culture like ot or not. Most peoples first experience with seeing deer while hunting involved a bait pile and there is a little nostalgia associated with a pile of carrots or beets 20 feet below your stand thats just the way it is. On the other hand not all hunters are in favor of QDM because most do not have property, do not have enough property, do not have the finances for the work that has to be done or simply are so busy they cannot dedicate the time and effort needed. Not all hunters have 300 acres of prime tillable land and a tractor. Not all hunters can take off work to have an extended deer camp. Not all hunters can afford an extended deer camp. So it comes to this, many hunters want a chance to go afield to their favorite or traditional spot and have a chance to tag a buck thats it. I would say that is probably theh majority of Michigan hunters. Up to this point baiting has been a great part of deer hunting but now it is over. I do not beleive we will ever see lagal baiting in the LP ever again right or wrong. I just wish that those lucky enough to have the property, time, money, equipment to really immerse themselves into QDM to try for one minute to understand the guy who loves to hunt but lacks those things and just wants to get in the woods and try to get some venison. Just some of my thoughts on this issue.

Ganzer

13. Bob S

Bob S

I don't own property because I am lucky. I own private property because I sacrificed and saved during the 22 years I hunted State land west of Oscoda.

I never baited, and I never had a problem seeing deer.

14. tommy-n

tommy-n Banned

So many people are so blind, the dnr just seen it as a perfect oppurntunity to stop baiting, the cervid farms are not closed down are they? This will come back without a doubt and bite the mdnr right in the ***** With the way the economy is here in michigan it could not have come at a better time:dizzy: Just go drive around on state land it's very obvious there's less hunters in the woods. Next year will tell the real story when they find out how many less license are sold, as alot of people purchased them before the baiting band this year, yet the dnr will tote it had little effect this year.

15. Beavervet

Beavervet Guest