Why is the ban now permanent?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by johnnybravoo77, Oct 13, 2008.

1. johnnybravoo77

johnnybravoo77

I have not figured out why the ban is now permanent. Why didnt they just vote to keep the original 6 month ban in place? PLEASE, I dont want to argue about food plots and or baiting, just want to know if they plan never plan on going back to baiting because of CWD, or is there other factors.

2. farmlegend

farmlegend Say My Name.

I understand there was some talk of allowing the ban to lapse in 100 years, which seemed like a reasonable compromise. However, the pemanent ban was chosen, perhaps to unburden future commissioners from having to wrestle with this thing down the road.

3. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

It doesn't matter either way to me,, but I wouldn't bet on this ban staying permanant. My personal prediction is they'll allow baiting to some degree by 2010, if not sooner.

4. DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

HOPE IT STAYS FOREVER BANNED:D it was a no brainer choice:D

5. 8nchuck

8nchuck

Nothings forever. Remember our Dove season? Seems like if they want to overturn the NRC they will. So much for the NRC/DNR setting the game laws.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. Crowhunter

Crowhunter

I hope they keep it on ,it will be better for deer hunting in MI. .Bud:)

7. 6inchtrack

6inchtrack Banned

I do not think it will be permanent, without any other positive deer, it's not justified.

8. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

The only thing permanent in Michigan is change except, that is, for politics as usual.

9. moabhunting

moabhunting

Only thing permanent in Michigan is the Cesspool in Detroit and the Democrat Governor & Democrat Leadership in Michigan gets a free Pass.

Vote Democrat it's easier than getting a Job! :D

10. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Stop beatin' around the bush,, tell us how you really feel..:lol:

11. millbs

millbs

Why isn't the U.P. in on this ban??? Sure a deer with CWD can't cross the bridge but it can come in from Wisconsin.:confused:

12. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

From the GR Press. I personally think this is something MDNR has dreamed of for a long time but just didn't want the fight with hunters and hunter groups. The 9-11 type CWD deer changed that.
    I don't know a MDNR biologist who liked baiting. In fact, the now retired biologist I talked to most really disliked everything bait brought with it. From turf battles between hunters, overly high expectations of seeing deer, to passing does and knowing if you just waited long enough, you'd kill a yearling buck, to keeping herds artificially high, to overbrowsing near bait sites, to litter from the bags, etc.

Commission approves permanent deer baiting ban

by Howard Meyerson

The Grand Rapids Press

Thursday October 09, 2008, 11:30 PM

LANSING -- A six-month ban on baiting deer and elk in the lower peninsula was replaced with a permanent ban Thursday following a unanimous vote by the state's Natural Resources Commission.

The NRC heard testimony from supporters, critics, state veterinarians and Dr. Mike Miller, who is the head wildlife veterinarian for the state of Colorado. Miller is considered the world expert on Chronic Wasting Disease.

"It is a pretty critical prevention strategy," Miller said when asked by NRC chairman Keith Charters if a baiting ban was justified.

The six-month ban went into effect in August, after a 3-year old doe on a Kent County deer farm was found to have CWD. The Michigan 2002 chronic wasting disease response plan requires the DNR director to ban baiting in the peninsula where the disease is found.

Miller, who participated in a teleconference with the commission, said the baiting ban creates a broad protective safety net. He said it was "amazing" that Michigan still allowed baiting given all of the trouble it has had with TB showing up in deer.
    Critics of the ban, primarily growers and sellers of vegetables sold as bait, said they were being hurt economically.

Supporters said there would be an even larger economic loss at stake if the disease showed up in the wild deer herd and spread. Deer hunting in Michigan generates $500 million in economic activity each year.

"We don't want to play Russian Roulette with the wild deer herd," Charters said.

Miller affirmed state procedures so far. He is one of several experts consulted by Michigan natural resources and agriculture officials, looking for outside feedback.

"I can't think of anything you've missed. The challenge will be maintaining public support," Miller said.

The commission vote followed on the heels of an announcement during the afternoon that Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Joyce Draganchuk had upheld the DNR's authority to issue the ban. Farmers and store owners had sued the agency, maintaining they had been hurt by the ban.

DNR director Becky Humphries said the decision was the commission's to make. She had executed her responsibilities under the 2002 CWD response plan.

"The commission thought it was a serious issue and they wanted to take it up," she said.

E-mail Howard Meyerson: [email protected]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  13. ahoude23

ahoude23

Where is this information on a permanent baiting ban coming from?? This is a significant change in regulation and should be displayed prominently on the DNR website. Finding out information in this fashon creates distrust for the DNR.

14. farmlegend

farmlegend Say My Name.

I suspect that hunter support for the practice of illegal baiting will greatly diminish over time, as they begin to experience a new way of hunting, making the permanent ban impregnable. You sure don't see hunters in Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio agitating to legalize baiting in their states.

15. johnnybravoo77

johnnybravoo77

Thanks Pinefarm. This is kinda what I was thinking. I dont have any problem with the ban, just starting to wonder about the people making decisions. Not that this is a bad one, just dont like the way they make them.