Who makes their own inline spinners?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by piketroller, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I just use round bend pliers to bend my wire for the spinners. Usually I just buy the kits from mud hole or Jann’s this one particular as been killer on Shiawassee small mouth. I was just throwing random colors together one day and was like no way this will work.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Crestliner 16, Trout King and MickL like this.
  2. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I also just hand bend it with pliers for chatter baits. Takes a minute to get the hang of it but, works just as good. I think it’s .030 wire. Paying the extra .25 cents for at-least a started loop is worth it .[​IMG][​IMG]

3. smitty1975

smitty1975

I started making online salmon spinners when I was just a little kid, pry 8 or 9. My dad was big into anything we could do ourselves. You can buy pretty much all you need from Janns Netcraft in Toledo. It's easy, rewarding, and if your not really pleased with what you make, you can re-use all the components, all you loose is the wire.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

slowpaya and PunyTrout like this.
  4. Salmonfever

Salmonfever

Great tutorial right here.

garyb likes this.
  5. Edgewalker7

Edgewalker7

I’m bald though. Would ass hairs work?

6. Edgewalker7

Edgewalker7

Trout King, Treven and tincanary like this.
  7. Smallie12

Smallie12

I made some back around the turn of the century while in college and loved doing it and they did catch fish. My favorite lure back then was the classic Mepps Aglia with the yellow and red body, size 3 in gold or copper, with the brown buck tail. I used .030 wire (wasn't chasing musky but was pike and bass) and simply used a <$10 pair of round nose pliers and they came out close to perfect but more than good enough to run good and catch fish. I spent around $90 for everything including pliers, blades, dressed and undressed trebles, clevises, wire, and an assortment of body styles and weights and broke about even vs store bought but had I tied more I would have started saving money. I'd totally do it if you fish pike and musky often and I just double checked the pliers I used and it said rated to do up to .051 wire. And as others mentioned I gave some to friends/family as well for gifts which was cool and I still have a bunch in my tackle box and maybe even know of a tree on the Flat River near Ionia where one can be found if you are interested, lol;) If I wasn't so lazy having to get my summer gear back out I'd take a couple pics.

Trout King likes this.
  8. Edgewalker7

Edgewalker7

Well the ones I made suck. They only spin with a fast retrieve

9. Smallie12

Smallie12

Have you tried a different style or size clevise or maybe a different blade size/type. Is the body too large where the blade rubs on it or gets stuck? I've never had a home made spinner not spin on any retrieve speed. Hmmmmmmmmm..................

Trout King likes this.
  10. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

11. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

12. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

yarn easily works its way into a spinner.changes the action also.needlenose work great.use to wrap the eye on a tablefork tine,it holds it great but now just needlenose and fingers

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  13. MickL

MickL

I've had some thin lightweight blades that didn't spin well.... wasn't much cup in them. Also i've read it's best not to have any component on the shaft ABOVE the clevise.... makes for more rotating friction/resistance and may interfere with water flow over the blade.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  14. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Only way I’ve never had them
    Not spin is if there was to much space between the metal bead on top of the clevis and the wire loop. I try to make them with the very top bead past the clevis either touching or almost touching the wire loop.

15. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Heres a few I've tied up

Attached Files:

slowpaya and Smallie12 like this.