close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Likes Catfishing? (pics)

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by tcfishes, Jan 17, 2018.

1. wateroperator

wateroperator

2. piketroller

piketroller

With the occasional big crappie mixed in your pictures, I would guess that you are using box traps somewhere down south for these hauls. Am I close?

3. wateroperator

wateroperator

No box traps, mostly trot line and rod & reel fishing. We run limb lines in the brush when the water gets high in the spring and occasionally jug fish. My father is a MudBum pro staffer and uses their Hawg Lawgs also. We exclusively use live bait. Every farm pond in the South is full of green sunfish and are easily caught in clover traps. Those big crappie love those sunnies and occasionally will get hooked too deep to release. We use the biggest bait we can catch and fish submerged structure along the river channel in a big flood control reservoir.

4. Downsea

Downsea Premium Member

That is some good eating right there and loads of it!

5. piketroller

piketroller

I used to do a good bit of trot lining and limb lining in Indiana and Tennessee, but always just used cut bait. It would catch plenty of channel cats and bullheads, along with occasional the bowfin or turtle. Never did try live bait as in those states you can't use traps to catch gamefish (unless you have a commercial license), and catching a couple bluegills to cut up for initial bait took a lot less time than catching live fish for every hook. Plus, after you get a couple of cats on the first set, I would cut up the belly meat for later sets.

That Hawg Lawg is really cool. If I ever move to a state that allows unattended fishing methods, I'm sure I'll pick up a couple of those. It can be hard to find a good limb in the best limb lining spots on the water.

wateroperator likes this.
  6. wateroperator

wateroperator

We eat alot of catfish and thoroughly enjoy it. I've changed numerous opinions of people who had eaten improperly prepared catfish in the past and didn't like it. Catfish needs to be trimmed and processed properly and it'll be a homerun for even the biggest naysayers.

Muckcommander likes this.
  7. FishingWithDom

FishingWithDom

kitty.jpg kitty.jpg I love catching catfish! I use cutbait, and a variety of homemade baits. Jello soaked chicken breast pieces, and hot dogs soaked in kool aid powder work very well for me. Tight lines!

Muckcommander likes this.
  8. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Lots of giants in the sagnasty!!

Attached Files:

wateroperator likes this.
  9. Hunts4ducks

Hunts4ducks

10. Chris Briggs JR

Chris Briggs JR

Can’t find the pics but pulled up two in less than 24 hours last year that were both over 35 pounds. Where? Up yonder, by the bend with the big tree.

11. Muckcommander

Muckcommander

Yup every may and June out from Sebewaing. Last year on best day my dad son and I caught 39 between 8-20 pounders in six hours

Attached Files:

12. Muckcommander

Muckcommander

We use santee cooper rig. A no-roll sinker above a barrel swivel with a 1'-3' 60 lb leader with a size 5,7 or 10 circle hook. Sometimes with a float on leader depending on the depth the cats are feeding we use crawlers like 3-4 on a hook or cut bait or 5-7 inch perch or panfish if I have any in live well

zzcop302 and piketroller like this.
  13. Muckcommander

Muckcommander