close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Is Doing What in 2018

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Forest Meister, Jan 5, 2018.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster

Alaska bush, fishing and trekking trip to the Noatak preserve in August

2. MrFysch

MrFysch

Back to Kansas in December....chasing whitetail in my favorite spot ...the western UP Every weekend from October until mid November!

deepwoods and welder72 like this.

3. lreigler

lreigler

Heading back to Nebraska this December for some cold weather second rut action with the muzzle loader!

4. hk_sl8

hk_sl8

Nice! Bring plenty of ammo!

5. hk_sl8

hk_sl8

Heading MT, CO, or WY with 'Tom the Chemist' for the first elk hunt for either of us. Doing OTC cow just to get out there while building up points all ove for down the road.

Getting together Monday to work out the details and I am psyched!

6. don'tgoenough

don'tgoenough

Some habitat work on my own place here in Michigan, Indiana in November and December. Hopefully Devils lake ND for perch and walleye.

7. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

Late June - fishing lake trout at Superior Shoals....somewhere in the middle of Lake Superior I am told.
    In addition to MI deer I have:

Mid October - Colorado 1st season either sex elk and 2nd season mule deer

Thanksgiving week - NY Adirondack whitetails

The Doob, welder72, hk_sl8 and 3 others like this.
  8. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

HTC have you hunted the Adirondacks before? I’ve been thinking about switching it up with a unique whitetail hunt... lake of the woods, adirondacks, or smoky mountains.

9. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

All my life, my dad built a camp there 4 years before I was even a thought. Out of state license is 100.00 bucks which includes a buck and bear tag that run concurrent. How reasonable is that? We hunt 15,000 acres of private that is surrounded by 100 times that in state land. My camp sits at the bottom of the mountain below, as far as you can see is mostly open to the public and has little pressure. Big country though, it is not like hunting the SLP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. welder72

welder72

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!
    How does the deer hunting compare to the U.P. ?

HTC likes this.
  11. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner

Alberta rifle elk, and if my points carry over from when I lived there... I will draw a bull moose tag for the same unit..

Forest Meister likes this.
  12. iLiveInTrees

iLiveInTrees

Finally time to bowhunt in Iowa! Been waiting 3+ years can't wait til November!

13. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

I have been to the UP a bunch but never hunted there, so some specualtion here. The deer density per square mile is low so that is probably about the same. The terrain is either up or down.....Pine swamps, rivers, ponds and vast stetches of maple, ash, beech and cherry. If you are looking for oaks you are in the wrong place, if you are looking for granite boulders you hit the motherload. Like the UP, rough winters is the biggest factor on the deer herd. Little to no agriculture in the heart of the mountains. Opening day in the adirondacks is pretty much meaningless. Unlike the SLP there just is not the pressure and the area so vast that the deer don't change up their routines. It is a long season, it always opens the 3rd Saturday in October and runs into December. Most guys wait until the second half of November so the leaves are all down and there is some snow. The up side, bucks have a chance to grow here...and some big boys are taken off from our place every year. Like the UP, the pictures from back in the 40's and 50's are cool. 10 -15 really big bucks strapped to several old cars and everyone wearing old woolrich jackets.

welder72 and Forest Meister like this.