Who Has Ever Drawn an OIL (Once In a Lifetime) Tag?

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by GrizzlyHunter, May 18, 2018 at 7:40 AM.

1. I'm curious to know who many have drawn an OIL tag for big game any time in your life, what species it was for and in what state?

If you did, please tell us the details of your hunt and post a pic if you were successful too.

Thanx!

2. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1526662819.092637.jpg

Maybe not what your looking for... but I drew a Michigan Unit G bull tag in 2016. It was my 5th year applying

3. Close enough! LOL.

I don't believe it's an "OIL" tag, but it might as well be. Dang! That's a beauty, nice and dark. Congrats!

4. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Well you can only draw it once in your lifetime so I thought so . Thanks!

5. Oh...so you can only draw once in MI? It didn't used to be limited. Still an awesome bull either way!

6. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Yes once for Bull, and if you draw a cow elk tag you have to wait either 7 or 10 years to apply again. My chances of drawing that year were like 1 in 100,000,000. It’s not a hard western elk hunt, but still an experience of a lifetime. I am assuming you were looking for someone who has drawn like a Kaibab or Arizona strip tag, or a sheep/goat/shiras moose tag? What OIL tags do you dream of? I struck out on Tuesday’s Kentucky elk draw

7. My Dad drew a MI Bull elk tag in 2002, but I guess it wasn't the best area for a big bull. There was a lot of private land in the area that we couldn't hunt on. We hunted hard with him for a few days and he was able to take the one and only bull he saw. It was a smaller 4x3 (I think). Me and my brother were standing on each side when he pulled the trigger. It was a GREAT moment!

I thought he said, at least back then, that he could apply for another Bull tag after a ten year wait. Maybe he was mistaken.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 3:26 PM
  8. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

That’s awesome! Maybe they have changed the regs since then. The only way that I could get another tag is through the pure Michigan hunt. Last year a guy drew both the elk hunt and the put michigan hunt. He transferred a tag to his son and they hunted together. Here are the Michigan regs ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1526669712.550736.jpg

GrizzlyHunter likes this.
  9. I stand corrected...I would think your tag is an OIL tag. Again, congrats!

I can't believe somebody drew both an elk tag and a Pure MI tag! Wow, what are the odds?

10. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

Ah not trying to prove anything, just felt special for once . Very slim, I hope he played the powerball. Hopefully someone has a true OIL tag to share...

11. No worries.

I hope there’s some other lucky hunters out there also.