Who else thinks their blue birds froze?

Discussion in 'Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery' started by plugger, May 12, 2018.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

My wife had heard that some people were finding blue birds frozen in their boxes earlier when hhe weather went from from warm back to very cold. We had our blue birds return with the mild weather in February and then saw a bit of single digit to zero lows. We have not seen our blue birds since the cold spell. Mother Nature can be a cruel bitch!

capper likes this.
  2. capper

capper Premium Member

That's for sure. I live in south Georgia and have lost 2 Bluebird nestings so far this year. The first one was lost to a cold spell after the young had hatched and were about 10 days old. The second was to a rat snake 2 weeks ago.

plugger likes this.

3. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Is the rat snake no longer with us?

capper likes this.
  4. capper

capper Premium Member

You know? I usually don't kill any snakes - but this guy was a pig and ate all 5 babies and he really made me angry. Bluebirds are special to me and I take great pleasure watching their antics. I stomped that buggers head to mush and then squeezed all the little ones back out of him, I wasn't going to let them lay with their killer. The snake is on my burn pile and will turn to ash real soon.

twowack, plugger, TK81 and 1 other person like this.