Whitetail Properties?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by jfishbones, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jfishbones

jfishbones

Not sure this is the best thread for this topic but I am going to be selling a small track in Tuscola County and was going to go with Re-Max realty but now I am leaning towards Whitetail Properties as it seems they understand the value of my property maybe a little better, both are thinking the same value, just wondering if anyone has any experience with selling land using Whitetail Properties

2. Groundsize

Groundsize

What do you believe your value is?

An example:
    Re-max says land is worth 3k an acres based on appraised value and surround land sales.

I say I'm targeting hunters in selling of my land and I have killed a ton of bucks that are on my wall, my ground is tar black dirt, property neighbors are good. I say my land is worth a substantial amount more then what they think. Hence list with Whitetail properties.

Dish7, hunterrep, gunfun13 and 3 others like this.

3. smith34

smith34

Not just value, but consider who you think the customer base is for what you have. Both have very different clientele, so the best one is the one that fits what you are offering.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    jr28schalm and Wild Thing like this.
  4. hunterrep

hunterrep

Nothing against realtors, but selling hunting land is different than selling a house. I don't believe there is anybody on this planet that can do a better job of selling my property than I could. I realize they can bring buyers to the table but there are ways to reach serious buyers of hunting land without realtors. I just cant see giving away 8% of the sale price simply for bringing a buyer to the table.
    And Groundsize pretty much nailed it in his post.

5. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

We once sold our home by owner and saved the commission also.

Regarding hunting property, I would hope that if I died tomorrow, my wife would not sell our property for what neighboring properties would sell for on average per acre. To add to the perks which Groundsize listed, I figure there is substantial value (at least to hunters) in the many improvements I have made to the property over the past 24 years - including, a pond, several watering holes, 16 acres of food plots which have had the rocks picked out and soils already amended, screening, thousands of conifers and hundreds of both hard and soft-mast trees planted, access roads bulldozed open and seeded, 7 metal gates erected, 2 1/2 miles of border posted with high quality signs, 9 permanent hunting blinds with carpeting and windows, multiple high quality ladder stands throughout. We have also had 3 professionally managed timber sales over those years which have led to a very healthy and diverse forest and the property has been set up and laid out with input from a professional habitat manager. The owners-to-be would not be starting out with a clean slate here - this property is well established as an almost "Whitetail Mecca" with the history and man-cave full of mounts to back it up. Not the same quality of the deer that Groundsize grows on his dirt but quality deer for our area.

If I were interested in selling I would target deer hunters or a hunting club and market the property as an ideal hunt club property as it is likely to be beyond the financial means of just a one-owner Joe Hunter.

6. sniper

sniper

Awesome listing right there wildthing!
    Makes me wanna take my little 54 and go hide...

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I fully agree that hunting amenities have value. One question that you have to ask yourself is, are there any properties in your general area that compare to yours? If it stands out it’s worth a lot more than one that doesn’t to a hunter.

I know I took a property that would take days to just see a deer to one that you can expect to kill at least one 3-1/2 year old buck every year plus see deer everyday. Everything has value to a seller and buyer. A property is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it so it makes sense to have someone with like interest to market it.

When most hunters come into a camp the first thing they notice are racks and mounts on the wall. It’s an attention getter.

Good luck to anyone buying or selling their property.

8. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Highly unlikely Sniper. I've seen pics of your property and the deer you are killing. Your dirt is in the same league for sure...highly desirable to deer hunters.

Groundsize, jr28schalm and sniper like this.
  9. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Is vacant property sales commission up to 10% now???

10. gunfun13

gunfun13

Canton/Lake Bellaire/Jackson Co Property Owner
    Though I agree good hunting can substantially increase the value of a property, it doesn't mean squat unless you have a cash buyer. Appraisals and therefor the amount a bank will finance, will be based on what similar composition properties around you sold for with no regard for any hunting aspects. In most cases timber value isn't even a consideration which could vary hundreds-thousands of $ per acre from parcel to parcel

12Point and tom_the_chemist like this.
  11. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Good point about appraisals and financing gunfun....but the fact of the matter is a parcel with high value timber and other amenities is still worth more than the average comparable in the neighborhood. If the buyer will be financing he will just have to come up with a higher down payment. It doesn't mean the seller has to sell for what the bank is willing to finance.

As mentioned by Luv2 above, the value of any given property is the value which a willing buyer is willing to pay for it.

12. jfishbones

jfishbones

Thanks for all the good info guys, many things I never thought of before!

13. Groundsize

Groundsize

I totally agree brother!

sniper likes this.
  14. sniper

sniper

I could easily sell my hunting rec property 15-20% higher to a hunter right now as to sell to a normal Joe...

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Groundsize and Wild Thing like this.
  15. mal

mal

I get flyers a few times a year from a Whitetail Properties rep in Southern Ohio inquiring about listing my property down there, and from the looks of the testimonial property sales on the flyer, it looks like they do a pretty good job at finding buyers willing to pay a premium. Another realtor in that area has told me that he has about a dozen deep-pocketed buyers just waiting for properties to come available. So while I probably would not use a realtor for a residential property, I would consider one for a hunting property due simply to the network of buyers many of them have.

In the end, the price that you sell for is up to you...there's nothing wrong with rejecting offers brought to you by a trigger happy realtor and holding out for top dollar.

jr28schalm, sniper and Wild Thing like this.