Whitefish time...

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by jrv, Nov 16, 2020.

1. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

Yep, go check out the New Buffalo reef. Plenty of whitefish mixed in with the lakers this time of year. I've caught them on smaller blade baits occasionally. Would think if you used a perch rig with perch minnows you would catch them. Or smaller jigging spoons, raps, etc

Steve61 likes this.
  2. Steve61

Steve61

Thanks. This sounds cool. I haven't launched from new Buffalo yet. Which way is the reef from the port?

3. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

Head north out of the harbor along the shore for about 5 miles. It's pretty close to shore. Within half mile for sure. Probably some coordinates floating somewhere around MS

Steve61 likes this.
  4. Kostadin Georgiev

Kostadin Georgiev

5. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Some yrs ago son and I went to Oscoda/AuSable about now for whitefish. We didnt get any but lots were being caught. Today?? That was about 30 yrs ago. I bet they are still there although we were there about 2 week earlier than this.

Just go out on the pier on the S side of the river.

6. surfstalker

surfstalker

I choose my days as it is a whole lot more challenging to jig deep water in the southern basin than in the bays. The currents are strong most days, but you can work around that to some degree with a good trolling motor.

I do well in the fall fishing bait from the piers and, some years from the beach. Haven't had much success jigging whitefish in the south end from the boat in fall. Have done much better in spring with this approach. But spring is the only time we really have a shot at salmon in the south end, so I usually go after those.

Steve61 likes this.
  7. surfstalker

surfstalker

Pics are a couple examples of styles, not necessarily color.

Attached Files:

8. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Can I ask what is the length of these jigs? We use jigs that are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Those lures will work perfectly for Pink Salmon off the piers in Sault Ste Marie, Canada. We use similar one all the time.Where can I buy some.

9. fisheater

fisheater

They look like Jonah Jigs to me. They’re a small Michigan operation. Here’s a link:

https://jonahjigs.com/

10. surfstalker

surfstalker

The 1 oz are about 2.75" and 2oz are 3.5". I've sold some on fishing trips, but don't have them listed for sale anywhere public. I may put some on eBay if I get busy making them this winter. If you're in Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids area and want a few I should be able to set you up.

11. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Wow they are a little pricey! A guy in Canada makes similar for 5.00 Canadian. Northwoods had them in 2 sizes for 3.99 and 4.99. Those Jonas look nice though.

12. fisheater

fisheater

The bigger ones catch kings, quality hooks, good paint. I wish the Elk Rapids jigs were more available. They are bowed. Just curious as to which fish prefer.

13. surfstalker

surfstalker

I make two different styles shown in the pics. Have caught lake trout, chinook, coho, Cisco, lake whitefish, perch, bluegill, pike, Spanish mackerel, bluefish, spotted sea trout, kingfish, and flounder on them. They'll likely catch most anything that swims if you present them correctly. I make almost all my rods, flies, and lures. Started when I was 12 and never quit. Not always the prettiest baits, but they catch fish and at a fraction of the cost others sell for. Looking at the cost of similar items, I guess I should put some on eBay or similar for sale.

piscatorial warrior and Sprytle like this.