Whipping Yet?

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Tubes77, May 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM.

1. Tubes77

Tubes77

So my daughter comes home from college tomorrow and is dying to get over that way to fish for eyes (she didn't get to go on our earlier trip over 3 weeks ago due to school), so we are heading that way Wednesday morning to fish Wed, Thur and Fri.(we live an hour west of Chicago but I grew up in St. Clair) The reports seem to indicate the jigging bite is still pretty strong so we'll bring that gear for sure, the question is, should we bother to bring the whipping rods and gear or just the jigging stuff? Any info would be appreciated!

HORNSnHOOKS likes this.
  2. Smitty03

Smitty03

3. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

Definitely bring both and the bottom bouncing rigs pretty much all methods going right now it's a great time of year

snortwheeze likes this.
  4. Papa Liver

Papa Liver

Jig algonac for sure day one then if your arm is sore from catching bottom bounce or whip next 2 days. Bet ya keep jigging tho....

6667supersport and Joe Archer like this.
  5. Tin Can

Tin Can

I think I am going to give whipping a whirl in the next week, they say when the Lilacs bloom the Walleye zoom. That being said it seems to hold merit, at least for me when it comes to when to start whipping. Before this year it was about the only way I fished for walleye, whip or handling at night. My neighbors Lilac has just started to bloom. So for me that is an indicator to start whipping.

I am going to jig this Wednesday with my new rod, but will whip next week.

If you like whipping, I would certainly consider that as an option.

Eric

snortwheeze likes this.
  6. Dave636

Dave636

7. Old lund

Old lund

You can get them any way you want right now

Tryin2 likes this.
  8. fishinfezz

fishinfezz

Whole river is stacked full..... you will have a GREAT 3 days..... don't forget rain gear!!!!

9. PencilPlugger

PencilPlugger

I haven't been out this year but you're usually missing out on a lot of good whipping if you wait until the lilacs bloom. I've filled my freezer more than once with pre-lilac bloomin fish in years past.

snortwheeze, Papa Liver and Tryin2 like this.
  10. Tin Can

Tin Can

That is what my buddy that I usually whip with said, hum LOL. Planning to be out next Tuesday or Wednesday night pending free morning at work.

Thanks for the advise Pencilplugger

11. Tubes77

Tubes77

Well thanks for the advice everyone! The truck is loaded for the trip over tomorrow. Got the jigging gear, and the whipping gear and even some stuff for some white bass too. I'm not sure if we will fish the DR or the SCR tomorrow but we'll be fishing either way! Will report on how we do, and thanks again.

Bigrigins likes this.
  12. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Got a pic of daughter ? Give you latest and greatest intel I have.. ;) haha. I know a LOT of guy's on river. Whipped 7 spots 2 weeks ago, caught fish at all 7 :) Will be whipping fri-sat myself. Good luck to yourself and your daughter

13. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

I watched the jiggers today, all deep and out of 25 boats seen 2 fish caught.. Not right depth- color- jig cadence... Not sure. Seen some chugger's also. Watched them boat 4 fish themselves. Time n place for everything. Not saying jigging still not smoking but know of a pretty good stick that was fishing Duchenne Point and said same thing, crawlers fire, jiggers SLOW. and he's a Joe Archer, die hard jigger.

14. Tin Can

Tin Can

I caught one, and lost one at the boat trying to net it, (that sucked). I don't feel like such a loser now, LOL. I did not see allot of nets. I have my new rod which by the way is awesome. 45fow of water with a 3/4 jig it felt like I was tapping it in the driveway, very easy to find and hold bottom, may start using liter jigs. I have boat control down now, hence not catching fish was they were shut down, or wrong color, but certainly not technique. Talked to two other boats that said it was slow. Fished Algonac 1/2 mile south of the camp ground. Both fish were caught in 32fow. I did not get anything in the deeper water.

15. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Three of us still slammed 'em jigging in your neck of the woods yesterday from 6:00 - 7:30 PM or so. It aint over til ......... well, it aint ever over for jigging! ;)
    <----<<<

fishinfezz and Papa Liver like this.