close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whipping dropper length?

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Brian027, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Brian027

Brian027

Well, it's hard to give up on jigging this year, but as it continues to get darker earlier, I anticipate making the switch to whipping pretty soon. I think I have used the same dropper on my whipping rod for years (I think it's 15"). My question is this: What size dropper do you guys use this time of year? And do you vary the lengths often during the season?
    I have a foam noodle with 12" -24" lengths somewhere in the boat but I can't say I've ever changed any. Just curious...

Sea nymph-o likes this.
  2. Drake

Drake

whipper dropper? ......... length?

3. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

Your right in the ballpark anywhere from 15"-24" for me always start with different lengths for each person and go with what works

4. Brian027

Brian027

Good idea on different lengths. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

5. Drake

Drake

Can I ask, What is Whipper Dropping?

Dave

Dtb810 likes this.
  6. Brian027

Brian027

Whipping (or jerk fishing) is a method for targeting walleye in sc river and Detroit river mainly at night. The "dropper" I'm asking about is the length of line from 3way swivel to the weight. I don't do it very often, but late spring/fall are great times. Weeds are a bit of a problem in the fall though.

Drake likes this.
  7. Drake

Drake

Hand Line fishing.......correct?
    Dave

8. rclark5

rclark5

I usually go on the higher side 20"-24" just cause fish feed up, or atleast thats what the experts tell me lol

9. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

10. auger

auger

11. Mags

Mags

Nope. Handlining you don't use any kind of rod and you are trolling very slowly.
    In whipping, the boat is anchored above an stretch you like to fish. You use a 4' or so fairly stiff rod with a wire shank (just like used handlining) at the end and a bell sinker, usually between 2-4 oz. To the wire shank are attached leaders of your preferred length, 1 or 2 of them, with whatever lure you wish to use, just as in handlining. You jerk, "whip," the rod every so often to pull your rig up off the bottom and let the current carry it down just a little further than where you were last. You keep doing this 'till you've worked through the stretch you intended, and your line is at such an angle whereas whipping it any more won't raise it off the bottom to carry it downstream any more. When you reach this point, you reel in and start over or move to a new area. Hope this helps.:)

auger and Drake like this.
  12. Drake

Drake

Thanks,,,,, Someday I hope to see it used!
    Dave

13. 6667supersport

6667supersport

There is a video on youtube that Anderson's Pro Bait did a few years back, if you wanna get an idea how to whip.

Drake likes this.
  14. Dave636

Dave636

There is a sticky in the begginning of this section. Knee high for me as well 20"