Whinchester Pre 64 Question

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by UPHuntr, Nov 18, 2019.

1. UPHuntr

UPHuntr

Just wondering from guys that are more educated in what a firearm value might be. I just recently bought a Whinchester Pre64 Feather weight (1954 manufactured) serial number 294061 in 280 Remington. no it orginally was a 30-06 and the guy I got it from had the gun completely re-done. Replaced the 06 barrel with a Douglas air gage barrel and had the stock all glass bedded. It is the orginal stock and the checkering look almost brand new, there is not one ding or scratch in the stock and he left the leupold rings on it. All in all the gun is in beautiful shape. I didn't buy it because of the action, at first I bought it for the 280 caliber. I gave the guy $450.00 I feel like I got a good deal, just wonder what others on here might feel?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. fivegunner

fivegunner

You did good sounds like a good deal, I also like the .280 Rem.

3. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Nice rifle at a reasonable price. I like, but have never had, a 280. The action would be the selling point for me.

4. Stubee

Stubee

I don’t own one but that is a great cartridge and IMO a darned good deal for that action, stock etc. You likely couldn’t duplicate it (pre-64 action, stock, Douglas barrel) for that money. I’d think if it was done right it’ll be a very good shooter.

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

You did good. It will hold its value. I prefer the 7mm Express markings. :)

6. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

You did very, very good action alone is worth $450 +....Douglas barrel would cost more than $450 and smithing....
    Get some Hornady 154 gr. Interlocks get a good accurate load it will drop whitetails and black bears with little to no tracking....my wife has a had a string of one shot kills for the past 20 years....

Tilden Hunter and Gil Martin like this.
  7. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

I agree with these good folks. The rifle and caliber are very desirable and the price was a really great deal. The .280 Remington is one of my favorite calibers and Hornady 139 and 154 grain bullets are outstanding in my rifles. All the best...
    Gil

8. UPHuntr

UPHuntr

Thanks for the feed back guys. I have to order a scope yet and work up a load but I will start with your recommendations.