Which vaccine would you choose

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by wpmisport, Nov 21, 2020.

1. wpmisport

wpmisport

If you had the choice and not just choosing the fist one on the market.
    Granted many people do not want any vaccine.
    Top 5 listed below.

I have very limited knowledge on this subject but thinking the Johnson & Johnson vaccine may be the best. It may only need one shot and may only need to be kept at refrigerated temperatures.

Two of the vaccine candidates (from Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Pharmaceuticals and AstraZeneca/University of Oxford) use something called an adenovirus. What is that and why is it used?
    Adenoviruses are viruses that can cause the common cold. We as humans have them, monkeys have them, as do other animals. For years, people have been using these viruses to deliver DNA, which are instructions for proteins. For the COVID-19 vaccine, researchers swap in a gene from SARS-CoV-2. When the vaccine is given to someone, the modified cold virus makes the SARS-CoV2 protein, which stimulates the immune response.

One of the vaccine candidates (from Merck, Sharpe & Dohme/International AIDS Vaccine Initiative) uses recombinant vesicular stomatitis virus. What is that?
    Vesicular stomatitis virus is a virus that primarily infects livestock (cows, horse, pigs). Here, it is being used as a vector delivery system, much like the human or chimpanzee adenoviruses. The modified vesicular stomatitis virus delivers the instructions for the SARS-CoV-2 protein into cells. This recombinant candidate works really well against Ebola and has been proven in the field; people developed immunity to Ebola pretty quickly after getting vaccine.

The final two vaccine candidates (from Moderna and BioNTech/Fosun Pharma/Pfizer) are mRNA vaccines. What are those?
    First it helps to remember that DNA is the gene and RNA gives instructions for certain proteins. So an mRNA vaccine is the instructions for the SARS-CoV2 protein. Once inside the cell, the protein is made and that triggers the immune response. Just like the vector vaccines which use viruses to deliver the protein instructions, here you are delivering the instructions alone. It’s another way of getting the protein made inside of you.

https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/rounds/top-5-covid-19-vaccine-candidates-explained

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

The one shown to have least side effects and highest effectiveness. Not sure yet which it will be, if any.

3. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

I applaud your intent OP, but half our populace cannot grasp the importance of wearing masks, social distancing, and hand hygiene - and now you're asking them to choose a vaccine?

Quoting sources directly from DHHS - "you'll get what you get".

Bob D, 5eyes, RichP and 9 others like this.
  4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

If there was one produced by a company that did not donate money to a political campaign, I would chose that one. Other than that, I will be told what I can be given, there will be no choice.

5. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Admin Super Mod Mod

As long as it works I don't care.

ICEGUY, RichP, jrose and 7 others like this.
  6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

I find the reluctance to take the vaccine odd. Even though I was really young I can remember the relief, and excitement, of the parents who stood in long lines, in the hot sun, with their children, so the kids could eat a sugar cube with a few drops of a clear, pinkish colored liquid on it.

Timberdoodle2, Shupac, jimbo and 4 others like this.
  7. brookie1

brookie1

Unfortunately most won't get vaccinated, regardless of what's available. I'm afraid this virus will be a problem for years.

8. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

It'll be a requirement to attend school

sureshot006 likes this.
  9. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Pretty much. It'll will all depend on what they data available has to say. I will way the side effects against the protection and that'll be my choice.

Wandering arrows and sureshot006 like this.
  10. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Like the ones we currently require? There have been resurgence of things like measles because people look around and see low incidence, and think there is a huge risk of things like autism with vaccines. The rates of vaccination have been falling, obviously.

William H Bonney likes this.
  11. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Anti-Vaxxer's will be against it.
    Most people wont be.

12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I will get one. I probably have 6 months to make a decision. Hopefully by the time the vaccines gets to seniors we will know more.

NATTY BUMPO and sureshot006 like this.
  13. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

I was in one of those lines .

capper and DecoySlayer like this.
  14. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Hope your wrong and enough get it to make a big difference .

November Sunrise likes this.
  15. wannabapro

wannabapro

Likely. And also probably college

Likely to board an airplane

For sure to cross to Canada to go fishing - including by boat (remember the PIA requirement to call in?)

And for sure to travel abroad/cruise ships.

I figure that’ll take care of 75% of us within 2 years.