Which side are you on?!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by 101thwacK, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Deep Side

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Shallow Side

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. 101thwacK

101thwacK

When you fish a drop off or contour break by casting do you prefer to fish it from the shallow water side casting to deep or the deep water casting to shallow? Whats your reasoning?

2. bapotter

bapotter

Both.

Casting something like a shiver minnow or jig on a very steep break that is almost a wall I'll position shallow and cast deep and work it up the wall. This way it certainly hits the base of the break where many of the fish hold and/or it doesn't quickly slip past fish that hold part way down the break.

On a more shallow break I'll position deep and cast shallow working it down the break, but I've had success in both directions in these situations.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

101thwacK likes this.

3. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I’ll do both but, I have had more success staying deep, casting shallow having the lure go down hill.

IE I’ll cast way shallow on the drop off with the goal of the crank to start digging into the bottom before the drop. Ideally I’m hoping the crank follows the bottom down with out actually dragging and the crank reaches its maximum depth right where the fish are sitting on the drop off. Might take playing with a couple differnt cranks for the right combination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

All depends upon the bait I am using, where I think the fish are in relation to the break, and species. For instance muskie I will almost always cast up onto the flat and bring the bait over the break into deeper water because muskie and pike like to hang under breaks and ambush prey from below as it comes off the flat over the deeper water.
    I usually like to work jigs up the break from the depths.
    And if I think fish are suspended off the break line, as they often do (usually they suspend at around the same depth as the primary drop off) I'll play the wind, casting upwind to bring the bait down wind to the suspended fish.

5. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

If the fish are holding right on a drop off or edge, I prefer the third option of sitting right on top of the breakline and casting ahead of me as I slowly move down it. Your lure stays in the zone all the way back to the boat rather than only part of it.

Note: This isn't a great option if you have someone in the back of the boat, a practice called "Short Boating" your partner.

TheMAIT and 101thwacK like this.
  6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Often the wind and water clairty will make this decision for me. If i am on a crystal clear lake i fish from the deep side in slick calm conditions. If there is a good chop with wind i will usually spotlock and fish off the back of the boat. At that point the wind dictates if i post up shallow or deep.

101thwacK likes this.