which mow tips

Discussion in 'Spey Fishing' started by partsman, Nov 21, 2020 at 4:44 PM.

1. partsman

partsman

Okay, first off this is a great forum, as a old new guy who put the cart before the horse and bought a switch rod and a couple of reels several years ago but never put them to use I'm ready to give this a go. As I said several years ago I thought this is cool so I bought a echo fiberglass 7 wt switch rod. I also bought two echo reels. One reel has a airflo skagit and the other has a rio chucker. Some were down the line I bought some t-8 rio leaders also. Now I can't find the t-8 leaders but I remember they were to light for what I was using at the time. as in I could see my egg sucking leechs as I fished them high in the water column. Now I going to learn this method of fishing, but sink tips are even more confusing than 8 or 9 years ago. From what I gather the Imow tips are for use with intermediate sinking lines? I can't seem to find just the old 10 ft. level t leaders, which is what I think I want, but maybe I don't now what want. A little help here is appreciated. I think this and alot of the casting videos and jargon that along with them turn a lot guys off. No consistincey. Please forgive my spelling .
    Mike.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  2. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!! Premium Member

Figuring out the tips and whether to use floating or intermediate line is a huge struggle for me as well.

The most helpful thing I did was book a casting lesson with Bob at Great Lakes Fly Shop www.troutmoor.net

3. OH-YEAH!!!

4. partsman

partsman

OH-YEAH, thanks for the reply, Im thinking maybe I need to go to my local flyshop aka Nomadanglers and maybe take some lessons and get a better understanding of some of this. I struggle also with a streamer line although I have come to like orvis bankshot on my 9'5 recon 6 wt. Im working on understanding the tips and will get there sooner or later!
    Mike.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  5. OH-YEAH!!!

Nomad Anglers is a great shop. They definitely will be able to help you.

6. Grinnell

Grinnell

Jeff Liskay is a gentleman and a highly skilled fisherman. He’s patient and kind and humble. A few moments with him or Will Turek will definitely tune up your Spey/switch game. Check them out. Met them in Ypsilanti at Schultz outfitters. Amazing dudes.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  7. FlyWeight

FlyWeight

I think you have to use the right tip for the location you are fishing. Depends on current and depth. A good rule of thumb is start high to low. An example would be my favorite run would fish great with 7 feet of T-8. Water flow at 1800cfs with an average depth of 3 feet. But, it is damn hard not blowing your anchor with less than 10 feet. I purchased the MOW tips to have a common length of 10 feet regardless of configuration. The light tip gave me 2.5 feet floating and 7.5 feet T-8.
    I’m curios to know why so many including myself, through fear I think, start with a switch rod. Must be postpartum with the single hand. Also, this Switch Chucker thing. It’s actually harder to cast with the shorter switch than the longer spey rods. Compact, compact! Not to say that I don’t love my little 5wgt but, I get conditioned and have a heck of a time getting back in the swing with my 7wgt spey.
    I think the most important thing is to match the line to the rod and your casting stroke. I did the “buy and try” thing. Finally got smart. The last rod I bought was an Fenwick Aetos 5/6 switch rod. To match a line to the rod I used an old head. I cut and weighed until I found the weight that felt good with the rod and my casting stroke. It turned out to be 300 grains. Then, I purchased the SA Skagit Lite in 300 grains. It cast so well I often overlook my Sage One. All for less than 200 bucks.
    Hope this helps and good fishing.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.