Which 350 rifle for very recoil sensitive

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Rich44, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Rich44

Rich44 Premium Member

I need to buy a 350 legend rifle for my nephew to hunt here in Ohio, a little background he's been a avid hunter since he was a kid he's now 24 and has a heart defect that has caused him to have a LVAD heart pump implanted in his chest this past summer.
    Im trying to come up with the lightest recoiling Ohio legal deer cartridge so he can continue to hunt deer.
    Im looking at the Ruger compact Ranch rifle and maybe put a compensator on and he could wear a past recoil shield also if needed.
    But am open to suggestions for different rifles weight isn't a issue for him just recoil.
    His dr said he could still hunt but didn't give any indication of how much recoil is to much, I cant think of anything with less recoil that is legal in Ohio.
    Thank you for any suggestions

alaska86 likes this.
  2. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Get him an AR platform rifle if legal in Ohio and put a good compensator on it.. Probably the easiest recoiling rifle in that caliber..

I'm not sure about Ohio's laws but you might want to check and see if the AR platform is ok there to hunt with..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020

3. Acts 11:7

Acts 11:7

I second the AR platform. Recoil will be nonexistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Wandering arrows and Rich44 like this.
  4. Rich44

Rich44 Premium Member

AR is legal were just limited to 3 rounds total in the gun, im not opposed to a AR at all can you recommend a good upper and comp

Wandering arrows likes this.
  5. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

If you should end up w/ a bolt gun take the 'recoil' pad off and get a slip on Limbsaver pad-the softer of the two that they make. It is the best recoil absorber out there. Most co installed 'recoil' pads are just stock extenders. Go to a good gun shop and 'feel' the limbsavers.. I have on e on a small 20 ga double and stand it muzzle down so as not to ruin the pad by the gun weight on it.

Zkovach1175 and sureshot006 like this.
  6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

This was years ago but I picked the decelerator removable pad instead of limbsaver. The limbsaver was softer but seemed too "sticky".

7. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Call Bear Creek Arsenal and talk with them. They are known for having good uppers for ARs.. They could probably even point you in the direction of a good compensator..

8. Ken

Ken

I wouldn't set up a youth with an AR but that is just my opinion.
    A bolt action with a good pad and a brake would be fine.
    A brake on a short barrel will increase muzzle blast quite a bit.
    There are other options such as suppressors (long wait and fee) or lineal compensators (no permit needed).
    I have a TAMR on my 16" 450. Completely comfortable to shoot with no hearing protection.

9. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Depending on who the recoil sensitive shooter is id almost shy away from the ar platform due to maintenance, complexity, cost, and even safety. Not that it can't or absolutely be done.

Eother way, I plugged in the numbers and you should be getting 10-11 lbs of recoil or less. This is indeed a little more than the .243. Remembering that perceived recoil is both actual recoil and noise you could:

1. Ensure rifle and scope combined are at least 7.5 lbs.
    2. Avoid muzzle brakes or barrels under 20 inches.
    3. Limit range sessions to six rounds and supplement with a .22 mag or similar.
    4. Double up ear plugs and ear muffs.
    5. Keep out of the prone and off bench as much as possible. Practice practical field shooting.
    6. Use a properly fitting synthetic stock and generous recoil pad. Proper fit includes length of pull and cheak weld.
    7. Ensuring the trigger has little creep and less than 4 lbs of pull will limit anticipation.
    8. Use reduced loads and limit range.

10. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

11. alaska86

alaska86 Premium Member

Some of you posters might want to actually read the OP’s first post

Bucket-Back and ErieH2O like this.
  12. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

Rich44, good on you for helping this young man continue to enjoy the sport!

Sounds like you are in the right track with the 350 Legend. Would also recommend the lightest hunting round you can find for the 350.

What is the hunting setup, siting on ground, box blind, treestand?

13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

The .350 will do him well. If he can shoot the AR platform it will tame down a very tame round.

If you go bolt, go heavy. More mass, less felt recoil. I put a Boyd stock on my Savage Axis II with the upgraded recoil pad. It added some weight to the rifle. Eased up the already very soft recoil. Improved the accuracy.

14. Rich44

Rich44 Premium Member

ErieH20
    Double ladder treestand so someone is with him

15. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

If handgun ammo wasn’t so hard to find I would consider a 357 or 44 mag for lower recoil. There are options for both. If there is a Fin Feather Fur near you would see what they have, about as good as a store gets for guns and hunting.

Zkovach1175 likes this.