close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to aim with a bow

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by sureshot006, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006

So... I've always hunted bear with a gun and shot just tucked behind the shoulder like I would a whitetail and they never made it more than 10 yards. My brother is going to hunt with a compound bow, so potentially a different outcome.

I've seen vitals diagrams showing the lungs further back on bear. Basically just forward of center between hind legs and front legs. But then again I've seen recommendations here saying to wait until the front leg is forward because their vitals are further forward than a whitetail...

So what's the real deal? Where is the "sweet spot" for a double lung shot on a black bear?

2. sureshot006

sureshot006

Bueller? Bueller?

I think he's gonna shoot for 4-6" behind the shoulder.

3. hommer23

hommer23

Wait for a slight 1/4 away with the front leg forward, then draw a line up from the back of the front leg where it meets the body straight up. Almost where the top corner of the red box is in the picture. If you shoot broadside aim for the point of the arrow. Elevation of the entry hole can change depending on the height of your stand.
    IMG_0311.PNG

sureshot006 likes this.
  4. sureshot006

sureshot006

IMG950199.png That's what I am used to... But what about this? Seem different to me...

5. hommer23

hommer23

Some guys say aim back because they don't want to hit the shoulder or leg bone. I would agree if you are shooting at a broadside bear however if you shoot a bear with his leg forward you can get the arrow right in the basket without hitting the leg bone. You also want to aim center of the bear or just above because the amount of hair that's fluffy or you will run the risk of shooting low on the entry and wounding him.
    IMG_0312.PNG

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. NancyJ

NancyJ

ive taken 6 with my compound,always made it simple, broadside shot,up the -dead center,,none ever traveled more than 50 yds,they die easier than a whitetail. good luck !

sureshot006 likes this.
  7. sureshot006

sureshot006

They do seem to lie down sooner and don't die running like whitetail.

8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I have shot 3. 1 with a bow but several others I was hunting with have made bow shots. All the bow kills I have seen just kind of squirreled around for a few seconds and died. If they made it 30-40 yds they were doing circles. The gun shot bears took a couple leaps and went down....Assuming they are lethal shots. The bow shot bears tend to bite at whatever just bit them. Then they expire quickly. The gun shot bears are more startled and run but they never get far.

sureshot006 likes this.
  9. imjon

imjon

My two did the same. Neither made it more than 30 yards. First bear hunt the guides all said aim more towards the middle of the bear.

Sprytle likes this.
  10. WMU05

WMU05

Sprytle and sureshot006 like this.
  11. sureshot006

sureshot006

Buddy just got one and it was a great shot and went 20 yds and went down. But... the death moan was about 1.25 min after the shot. Similar for the other bow kill. Both lung shots.

hommer23 and Sprytle like this.
  12. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

My bow shot it went about 40 yards and the death moan was a few minutes later, I wish we would have kept the camera rolling to catch the moan...

Sprytle and sureshot006 like this.
  13. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

Any high shot that hits the spine will drop them. I'll wait until their broad side shot. Once their at the bait coming back comes a lot easier every time.