close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where are all the Older/Bigger bucks at in the NW 12 ?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by stickbow shooter, Jul 26, 2017.

1. noshow

noshow

2. poz

poz

Good. I'm glad for you. And I hope you get one. Look at my response to Steve. Do you think by killing one of the smaller ones that you are taking an opportunity away from someone. Don't know if your 4 minute or apr's or not. Just asking well you would think if someone came up to you and said you took an opportunity away from me shooting an older class but by shooting a three-and-a-half-year-old.

3. noshow

noshow

Yes I am for aprs all the way and all these deer are from an apr county. No, by shooting a deer is not taking an opportunity away from someone else but I also think that maprs have created a lot more opportunities for all hunters by putting a wider range of bucks off all sizes on the table. In the county o hunt before aprs it was hard to even see a buck make it to 2.5yo and now it is just amazing the transformation that has taken place.

sniper, otcarcher, jr28schalm and 2 others like this.
  4. poz

poz

I don't want to hijack this thread. So maybe we'll start a new one. But how do you get an older age structure. By only passing on one year of deer. I understand what you're saying and I know it can make a difference in some counties. But the logic behind passing one age of deer just to shoot a two-and-a-half-year-old or three-and-a-half-year-old. Won't achieve what your account want to accomplish from your post. I'm in the same reason to pass a one-and-a-half-year-old can be used to pass a two-and-a-half-year or three and a half year old. If your guy's idea of a diverse age group is one two three and a half years old. Then we'll never achieve what many of you want in Michigan. But to put it simple if the goal is Michigan is to shoot four and a half year old and 5 year olds. Then shooting a deer at 1/2 years old or three and a half year old has the same effect. That's the difference between mandatory apr's and voluntary apr's. Just think if you pass those two and a half year old at three-year-olds what a wider range of deer we'll have. This isn't directed at you personally it's just trying to show an example of the attitudes in Michigan. We keep hearing we want older bucks yet for some reason we don't want to wait to get them to be older.

jr28schalm and stickbow shooter like this.
  5. noshow

noshow

We aren't trying to get trophies around every tree. But advancing the age even one year makes a world of difference in my book when before maprs the 1.5yo made up the 90percent of the buck herd in my area and most of the state for that matter. The way things were the way before and the way it is in most of the state voluntary does not work. Now with aprs alot of people will still do voluntary based on their own standards. With more deer on the table bucks will slip through and therefore we will have a few bucks make it to 4.5 and 5.5yo but it will take a little time and some guys are starting to see this in certain areas of the nw13. But to keep things status quo just was not working.

6. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Baby steps first , then you can run with all the toddlers ..

sniper, U of M Fan and wildthing like this.
  7. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Passing one year class of deer is a good start.

8. wildthing

wildthing

This is so true. When MAPR's went into effect here in 2001, everyone was happy to see and shoot 2 1/2 YO's. After a few years many hunters started voluntarily started passing on the 2 YO's and then more of them moved on to the next higher age class. It is a natural progression but you have to start somewhere, Also, as no-show mentioned, once they get a little older, they get a lot wiser as well and many of them will learn to avoid hunters. Yearling bucks are the most vulnerable and easiest deer in the woods to kill. If given the chance to get a little older they learn to get a little wiser as well. Let em go so they can grow...

twolaketown and sniper like this.
  9. poz

poz

What's funny is, if you guys think about it, is that everyone on here says voluntary doesn't work. But they expect voluntary to get them to the next level. Does that make sense. "Voluntary won't work saving a deer that's 1.5 years old but it work at saving them at two and a half and three and a half years old." That's what many of you on here are saying. These just sounds like excuses for people who don't want to wait. Many people don't wanna wait and wil shoot a one-and-a-half-year-old but but we want lost pass to stop him from doing it because we want older deer. Because everyone says voluntary won't work. But if you can't get involuntary to work on a spike how you going to get it to work on an 8-pointer? You guys control the trigger. You're never going to shoot a five and a half year old if you keep shooting them at three and a half year old

itchn2fish likes this.
  10. noshow

noshow

Like I said most guys aren't trophy hunting for 5.5 yo deer. We're not making tv shows here. We're not the so called pro staffers. We're just happy to see more age class of bucks besides just 1.5yo deer every single season and if we see a 2.5yo u considered yourself lucky. This was of course before aprs. Post aprs now since we are seeing 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5yo deer makes the hunting experience alot more enjoyable. Needless to say we get a few more lbs of meat.

QDMAMAN, wildthing, sniper and 2 others like this.
  11. noshow

noshow

Just for example. This is what it was like to check trail cams before aprs. imagejpeg_0_14.jpg . Now this is what it's like checking trail cams since aprs have been put into affect. It's alot more exciting knowing the next time you check your trail cams you might have someone new show up, bigger rack, or some cool looking points, or maybe even a droptine or two. imagejpeg_0_14.jpg

Attached Files:

12. poz

poz

What you fail to understand is that the attitude you have now. Many guys had this attitude way before. But they didn't stop you from shooting those Young Bucks by passing laws 10 years ago. So should those guys who want to shoot five and a half year olds force you to pass on the Bucks you like shooting. Would you be happy if they came in and said you can't shoot any of those bucks on your trail cam.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    itchn2fish and Bucman like this.
  13. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Most " guys" hunting for 5.5' s in Mi. are not going to be bringing home more meat.

For the majority' s goal of killing bucks older than yearlings your post fits the bill.
    As long as fawns are steady , ( as without an apr as well) you are set. Fawns are a year class foundation required for success too. And perhaps the most vulnerable. With a longrange effect when a year class is reduced in production and survival.

itchn2fish likes this.
  14. poz

poz

Like you said before mandatory apr's we're shooting a lot of yearlings so yes your statement about most guys aren't trophy Hunt is true. But you're in favor of laws that would force those guys who aren't trophy hunting to pass legal deer. Does that make sense

itchn2fish likes this.