When should you be checked.

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by melvvin, Mar 16, 2008.

1. melvvin

melvvin

I was curious about when you think CO's should check us. I dont liked to be checked in the field it messes up my hunting but I know they have the right. Also good or bad experiences with them. I have been checked lots of times and they have been polite and even helpful. I believe his name is Dan Lee he met me in the parking lot at shia and after he checked me he helped me load my boat and 2 other parties too. Dont think you can be any better than that.

2. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

CO's should check people any time and any where they are hunting.
    Just waiting till they are done and in the parking lot would miss out on a lot of violations.

3. slammer

slammer

I kind of agree with anytime. About 5 years ago a C/O checked my brother on our private property at 10AM on the deer opener. He waddled across 3 80 acres fields and up to my brothers tree stand and asked him to throw his license down to him. He checked it and tucked it under a rock so that my brother would not have to get down and then went on his way.
    We did feel it was kind of intrusive at that time of the morning on Nov. 15th and my brother was kind of pissed because he was a follower of good old Fred Trost whom was telling people that C/O's could not enter private property without due cause. Well just wearing hunter orange and carrying a gun seems to be just cause and if that is the case I am good with it.
    I have been checked 3 times while duck and or bird hunting; twice by local C/O's and once by a USFWS officer and each time was a decent experience that could have been much worse if they were not understanding.

4. hankrt

hankrt

Personally, I like the CO's in the field, wished we had more of them around. Those of us who hunt legally can appreciate that thought when you remember all of the violators we've come across over the years. If the violators knew someone was watching them, there would be less of them, thus making my hunting experiences more memorable. Just my .02 worth

5. just ducky

just ducky

I know I'll piss some off with this, but here goes :hide:

CO's should be checking us as often as possible whenever they can. And Yeah, opening morning of gun deer season isn't maybe the brightest or most conducive time, but I wouldn't bitch if they did. when I say "us", I mean waterfowlers, not just deer hunters. In fact, I've encouraged the DNR to check more often. Over the years I've had conversations with many DNR personnel, including a couple different heads of the LE Division, and given them suggestions on how to be more effective, and use their time more wisely.

Case in point, up until about the mid-90's, we used to hunt Harsen's Island a lot each fall. The blatant violations out there...carrying more shells than permitted, shooting more than one hen mallard, etc., etc. got so bad that I finally had a pow-wow with the person in charge back in those days. We had a long discussion about how they might curb some of this nonsense going on there. One of the suggestions I made was more of a presence, even if it mean simply parking a DNR patrol vehicle in the parking lot to make hunters believe there was a CO out there somewhere. And we suggested checking hunters not only at the end of the hunt, but at the start to make sure they were using non-tox shot, and were following the shell limits. Well guess what? The very next time out there on an AM hunt, while pulling our boat over a dike way back in, all of a sudden a flashlight comes on...it's a CO, and he asks us to show him our shells and guns, etc. When he was done, I actually thanked him and shook his hand for taking the time to be out there in the pre-dawn. So you guys that had to put up with getting checked while you were hurrying into a unit can probably thank me :evilsmile YOU'RE WELCOME.

That was years ago...maybe their stepping things up helped...maybe it's worse than ever there? Don't know because I haven't been back there in at least 12 years. But the fact is they tried, and they should be commended for it.

6. Water_Hazard

Water_Hazard

I think a C.O. should use good judgement when checking hunters. Checking a person, knowing it will interfere with there hunting is not a good time. UNLESS he notices something is wrong. Been checked all across the state, fishing and hunting. Everything went well, been with people that got tickets, usually their own fault. I believe it was very disrespectful to be checked my first year deer hunting at age 14 and having my opening morning ruined, and then have the same thing happen the following year by the same C.O. This year got pulled over by a C.O. because I was pulling a duck boat. Usually not much of an inconvenience for me. My wife was hunting with me before when I was checked. Now getting checked is always an excellent excuse to the wife when I am running late.

Do know of a Conservation Officer that lied in court and to a jury, and know of tickets that were issued that were not deserved.

7. Ferris_StateHunter

Ferris_StateHunter

Anytime,

We need more CO's checking more people, and more often.. No reason not to. most checks take up 15 or so minutes of your time (saying everything goes well) and then they are off about their buisness. No reason not to get checked in the field or before or after you hunt.

Less critters taken by people not following the rules, more critters for everyone who does...

8. radiohead

radiohead

I like seeing a strong presence of CO's in the field and on the water (when fishing). I have always found them to be polite and respectful of your hunting/fishing as to be as minimally intrusive as possible.
    Heck most will give you tips on where they're catching fish if you ask them.

9. smoke73

smoke73

I've been checked once this year, twice last year and three times the year before. But that was all for fishing. It has been at least six years sense I was last checked water fowling. That is just too long. In my opinion, there needs to be more of a presence out there.

10. dlbaldwin01

dlbaldwin01

I agree that there needs to be more COs out there. I can't remember the last time I was checked while hunting. Fishing was a couple years ago opening day of walleye season. Besides that I see the most COs while snowmobiling, some times two or three per day. Seems like they focus real heavy on the sleds in the winter and orvs in the summer from my observation. As for why there are not more COs, the training looks extremely tough. I am taking the test in april, then there is like 17 more steps after that, just to get into the academy. So it looks like people are not willing to sacrifice that much time and maybe still not make it. Just a thought.

11. slammer

slammer

There is not a shortage of people willing to be CO's, all classes quickly fill up. If I was just starting out I would go for it. I did when I first got out of school and found that many guys were not getting in for a couple of years and then the state put a freeze on the positions and I had to go into something else.

12. huntingmaniac45

huntingmaniac45

Anytime, anywhere, is the way I feel.

13. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mod

Any time unless you are in a blind. Nothing more annoying than a CO driven up to your blind while you are trying to hunt.

From what I have noticed 95% of the people that hate CO's have been in the wrong and gotten tickets which THEY fell they shouldnt have gotten.

I dont hate/Dislike CO's they are doing there jobs. Sure you will run across a couple asses but alot of people you meet in public are *******s.

14. Flooded Timber

Flooded Timber

I have been checked waterfowling, small game hunting and deer hunting. I've even had the State police come to my house after a waterfowl hunt and talk to me about being at a certain spot. Never had a bad encounter with any LE officer concerning hunting. Always seemed very respectfull and helpful at launches and in the field. And I have had one or two of them put me on some pretty good hare swamps. I wish there were more and they did more field checks like Hankrt said then maybe a there wouldn't be quite so many violations out there.

15. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

Like most, I would like to see more CO's in the field. ALTHOUGH, there are some really inopportune times that are inappropriate for them to be checking people in the field.

I'm sure there are lot's of Bay guys on here that have been checked by the Feds in their air boat around 8 or 9am on opening morning over the years. Back when their was marsh at Quanicasee to hunt, I think we were checked 3 years in a row opening day. Nothing like 1 hour after shooting time having an airboat run through your decoys and spend 20 minutes checking licenses, life jackets.........

Just saying that opening opening day of rifle, duck etc... I don't see what they are going to catch in the field by random checks that they would not catch at the truck in the AM, lunch or PM when your done.