close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When it comes to Ontario.....

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by HTC, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Chromelander

Chromelander

I can see that if your 100% sure you know where the bear will come from. But they can also come in from anywhere no matter the wind.

2. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

Generally,a mature bear will come in down wind unless their's an obstacle that prevents it,like a lake, road,or a clear cut etc.. Myself,I prefer to set up cross wind and deter the bear from coming in down wind.

Nostromo likes this.

3. shadowmagoo

shadowmagoo

Anyone still looking for a hunt this year, check us out at Happy Camp Ontario, hope you choose to come and Catch the Good Life with Us, take care!!

4. miforest

miforest

I went with rick Dickson last year. we had 3 hunters and 1 tag along. All 3 hunters got bears. My son got a bear that was 340 lbs. He snapped an empty chamber on a bigger one before this one came in. My bear was only 140, but the hide was beautiful and I got a nice rug made by nancy. The other hunter got a 175lb bear, He saw a bigger one and 2 smaller ones. I saw other hunters there and they got some BIG bears. Saw several over 400 lbs skinned at his headquarters.
    The trade off is , Rick runs a lot of territory and does not work from a central lodge.
    He cannot offer the service a central lodge can because his territory is so big and the hunters spread out, be all our real needs were met. the up side of this is that was a great area, The success of our and the other groups there when we were there was excellent. The bears were big, no , Really big. and there seemed to be a lot of them.
    I would call the hunt semi guided, but that was the way we wanted it. I thought it was well worth the money. Ricks guide helped us when ever we needed it. Hunts out a lodge offer better accommodations but are more money.
    I will say that my son and his friend were 21 years old, but we are all comfortable in the woods.
    We took a boat and fished after getting the bears. Good luck if you go . I think Ontario bear hunting is underrated. It's a real big game hunt in a wilderness setting. Take an ATV if you have it . take some trail cams too. The tree stands were permanent and some were older. We had brought our own , so we could adjust locations easily.
    The people in wawa were friendly.

BVW likes this.