close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When it comes to Ontario.....

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by HTC, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Chromelander

Chromelander

What's everyone's opinion on baiting, my take is if the guide is baiting regularly the bears get used to there scent. If when the hunters arrive and take over baiting that can cause the bears to not come in. Big bears in particular

Nostromo likes this.
  2. Callinalldeer

Callinalldeer

I never allow clients near the bait, or around the area. I have a video of a mid size bear (250# ) that took one wift of a foreign scent,turn and ran for the hills, quickly. . I started hunting Bears with an outfitter, that baited then the clients took over. Raccoon scent and honey made me successful .

Nostromo likes this.

3. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

Thanks for the info, I look forward to meeting him. A few quick questions, is his lodge in Hillsport? Second, where do you stay there, is everyone in his lodge or are there cabins? Last, how far on average are you traveling to the baits? Wasn't sure how much gas needed to be brought....it doesn't look like Hillsport has a station.

4. mikwest074

mikwest074

Gary has one living area like dorm rooms. If you have a group of people he has couple cabins on site. The avg travel to each bait site is about 10 to 30 miles. Last year I fill up my gas tank in Manitouwadge before going to camp. That fill up last me until 5 days in my Ram 1500. I believe he is opening up a new hunting area closer to Manitouwadge so I'm not sure of the lodging and distance to bait sites there. Also Gary called me up this weekend. He only has a couple opens left so might what to call him soon.

5. agross

agross

I have been on four Ontario bear hunts and have always paid the tax. Sometimes they just figure it into their price .

6. agross

agross

His lodge is in hillsport, which is basically just a cluster of houses, no stores. U will want to gas up yer vehicle in Manitouwadge , the last town before u head into the bush. If u r taking a quad take several cans and fill them up in michigan. A lot cheaper. Even if yer not taking a quad take extra cans. Easier than heading back into town. Gary has a big gas tank there , but costs a lot more and doesn't really tell everyone it's for sale, more for emergencies and his vehicles . We took five , five gallon cans and used it all .
    The lodge is a kitchen, bar, dining area, pool table. There are several cabins that accommodate different size groups. All right by the lodge. When we went , we took our own food and cooked to save money but stayed in his cabins. Not sure if he lets everybody do that or not. We ate like kings and saved a lot of money. Never heard anyone complain about the food at the lodge either.
    The distance to baits just depends. He has some baits within a few miles but I would say on average our baits were in average about 15 miles from camp. Just depends Let me know or pm me if you have more questions

7. 331 welding

331 welding

Do they recommend that you have a ATV for hunting hillsport?

8. mikwest074

mikwest074

Atv is not necessary. Hillsport does some baits that you can using a ATV for. Most bait are a easy walk from the road. There was only one guy out of 15 last year that had a ATV. The week I went.

9. agross

agross

No. We took them for sight seeing and screwing around during the day or after you get a bear.

10. tgafish

tgafish

I
    I
    would assume it happens but every bear hunt I have done I have baited after the outfitter showed me where it was. Any bear killed after day 1 came in with other people's scent. Smart scent control is recommended but to be honest my father was the luckiest bear hunter I have ever known and he never did a luck of scent control. My opinion is if the bear is hungry enough he is coming in unless he gets a direct whiff of you

11. tgafish

tgafish

S
    Same here. Always paid tax.

12. Chromelander

Chromelander

Just got done watching the high road with Kieth Warren on the pursuit channel. He did a cool episode on bear hunting at hillsport Hilton. Check it out if you can.

13. agross

agross

Canada in the rough does a spring bear hunt there too. The big boys crew goes there as well, a spring and a fall hunt.

14. mikwest074

mikwest074

You also view some of the episodes on you tube.

15. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

Two active baits don't mean a thing if they don't give you wind options.....most Ontario outfitters will have you hunt a bait even if the wind is wrong....no scent control in the world will work with a bears nose....