When good habitats go bad.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Justsayin

Justsayin

mbrewer and Tilden Hunter like this.
  2. motdean

motdean

Thanks for posting.

I finally had to take the time to read this....

There is a lot to take in....and comprehend.

"A wide range of disease dynamics were observed over the range of parameters and habitat quality distributions explored. The ability of the pathogen to spread (and of susceptible hosts to persist) was influenced most strongly by infectious survival, with high infectious survival (i.e. low disease-induced mortality) facilitating widespread infection (in which no susceptible host populations persist), and very low infectious survival (i.e. high disease-induced mortality) facilitating disease-free dynamics or intermediate spread (figure 1). Pathogens with higher environmental longevities were generally able to invade and spread more easily, even with low infectious survival (figure 1c,f). The distribution of habitat quality in the metapopulation also played an important role in determining disease dynamics. Prioritizing high-quality habitat facilitated widespread infection for a larger range of parameters"

Could we be contributing to the problem?

mbrewer likes this.

3. swampbuck

swampbuck

That's understandable, by creating high quality habitat, you are attempting to attract and concentrate deer. That's why people do it. Remember "attract and hold"

In the case of CWD those forever prions accumulate in the soil and create a hot spot. Then spread to other areas via dispersal. That's the basis of our CWD response plan.

I guess it doesn't matter anymore now that our MDNRNRCMUCCQDMA is working hard to create, a forever mega hotspot In the THE CORE CWD AREA

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. mbrewer

mbrewer

Nice find, my confirmation bias is purring like a kitten.

motdean likes this.