When do you guys in NE Michigan plant your rye?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by jacksonmideerhunter, Aug 2, 2020.

1. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

Always planted end of August to beginning of September with good results down in Jackson, but that was zone 6a, this is zone 4b. Im thinking maybe in a week or 2 up here? depending on the rain forecast. Am actually kind of regretting not planting yesterday, with this good soaker we are getting right now, but the hot, dry extended forecast scared me off, plus this current rain wasn't predicted to be this much either. Sandy soil, Montmorency County.

jparks02 likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I plant in rye in NW Michigan in sand at the end of August. You could plant as late as mid September to have a decent crop for bow season. Heck, I have filled in sparse areas as late as the first couple weekends of October.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I try to get planted no later than mid August if I want a bit of growth for fall plots. Typically speaking it’s broadcast into other plots. I have clay based soils so cultipacking after broadcasting is a waste of time and gas once we get a soaking rain.

jparks02 and jacksonmideerhunter like this.
  4. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I will 'plant" mine in another week or two. I will be just mowing my standing rye in order to get a free crop from its seed heads. I just hope it doesn't come in too thick as I will be planting some legumes (clovers, vetch, and maybe peas) into it after I mow the rye. I do have some unwanted weeds in it so I will spray immediately after mowing to nuke them and then will drill the legume seed the next day.

Mid-August up here is about right for planting rye. I am also going to broadcast some rye seed into my brassicas but will probably do that closer to late August. I expect that seed to germinate and grow better once my brassicas have had some browsing on them.

The rye to the right side of this photo is still standing and will be one of my "Buffalo Blend" cover crops.

IMG_3353 (1).jpg

I rolled the right side of the same field 3 weeks ago to plant my brassicas. The seeds were not mature at that time so none of it germinated. Today, the seed is very close to being fully mature so I know that it will germinate when I mow it in a week or so.

IMG_3535 (1).jpg

Same thing in this plot. The rye on the right will be mowed to regerminate itself.

IMG_3527.jpg

Side view of the same plot.

IMG_3528.jpg

I have a feeling that the rye is going to come in much thicker than what I want and not leave much room for my legumes. If it does, I will leave it go and it will still provide a good cover crop for next year but I would prefer to have a more diverse cover crop so in the future I will likely terminate the rye sooner or spray it after it germinates and just plant new seed at the proper rate. Still learning on these cover crop practices.

BTW - This is not the NE lower but the "Banana Belt" of S Central U.P. which is also zone 4b.

jparks02, millbs and ThreeDogsDown like this.
  5. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

That is a lot like the system I hope to use here Wild Thing. Although I will probably never have the seed drill, and very nice equipment that you do, I believe rye cover crops and no till methods will be the way to go here with the thin layer of organic matter over extremely sandy soils. Ive used the throw and mow method in the past with good results and hope to be able to do the same here. The sandy soils will definitely benefit from the rye thatch, and I dont really dare till to deeply, and risk bringing beach sand to the surface. Your posts over the last couple years on the no till planting have definitely been a source of inspiration and are much appreciated.

Waif, jparks02, ThreeDogsDown and 2 others like this.
  6. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Thanks JMDH - The no-till practice will work on your soil too. Just try to create as much biomass/thatch as you can and disturb the soil as little as you can and it will build soil from the top - down.

Waif, jparks02, ThreeDogsDown and 2 others like this.
  7. cakebaker

cakebaker

First to second week of Sept makes it nice and lush.

jparks02 and jacksonmideerhunter like this.
  8. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Are you planting in Zone 4b CB? I always thought you were down south?

jacksonmideerhunter and jparks02 like this.
  9. big buck 75

big buck 75

Never before labor day in Central Michigan, rye will germinate in cold temps.

jacksonmideerhunter and jparks02 like this.
  10. HuntingCPA

HuntingCPA

Not to hijack the thread but I am in Jackson as well and doing my first rye planting this year. I am more of a gun/late season hunter than bow hunter. When should I plant? I was planning on doing 200 lbs/acre and then 3-4 weeks later doing another 200 lbs/acre over the same area. Any thoughts?

11. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Ill plant oats and rye and clover 3rd week of august, and reseed in late sept with rye.

jacksonmideerhunter likes this.
  12. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

Hard to go wrong by planting rye right before the closest good rain forecasted to September 1st in Jackson, IME.

jr28schalm likes this.
  13. Dantana

Dantana

We usually plant on Labor Day weekend at our Missaukee County property. No real reason other than it's when we are always up at camp. However, if I wanted better growth, I would aim for 2 weeks prior. Mid to late August rye plantings provide significantly more growth than Labor Day or later, from what I have seen.

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I have never seeded over 300#/acre. It’s pretty darn thick at that point. Rye will germinate in low soil temperatures but doesn’t grow very much with soil temps in the 30s. Make sure you have time in the spring to terminate growth, you’ll have a lot of biomass to deal with if you don’t catch it early enough.

Think about your lawn, if it quits growing so will your rye.