close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When Deer are no longer fit to eat.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by feedinggrounds, Oct 7, 2017.

1. hunterrep

hunterrep

Good question. I think I would still hunt for mature bucks simply because I like the challenge and adrenaline rush. I would definitely feel funny about not eating venison though. Eating them is a very close second to killing them.

2. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

Hard to say. Very similar to the post above. Other than an occasional T-bone steak on the grill the only red meat I eat is Venison. I get a major adrenaline rush from shooting a nice Buck so i'm sure i'd continue to hunt but I could see myself loosing interest over time if I wasn't able to consume them. I don't see myself quitting abruptly though.

sniper and stickbow shooter like this.

3. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

i might beleave 357, but you no way no how....no way

357Maximum and sniper like this.
  4. sniper

sniper

This couldn't of been better said....

5. 357Maximum

357Maximum

In an ironic twist of events, CWD may be the straw that broke the camels back and changes our address to some waterfront in the NW13 MAPR promised land a decade or so ahead of schedule. The NW13 has great fishing and if I no longer give two ***** about eating any deer ...WHY NOT? Think the state will miss my deer tag money? I would rather eat deer than kill them, so if eating them is a game of Russian Roulette, which it almost certainly will be in time.... the choice seems pretty obvious to us. Call me Debbie Downer, but the state has never once stopped an invasive or disease once it is here despite their too little too late feel good "efforts", I doubt this case will be any different, especially seeing how a bunch of deer hunters think CWD is nothing more than a "distraction". The odds are not good, now is they? Hi, my name is Mike, but you can call me Pier Rat here shortly me thinks. :lol:

6. sniper

sniper

Why so angry Maxi???
    Was there anything said on this thread that lit your fuse...This has become a common theme for you lately when you post...
    Do you need a Snickers???

buckguts1970 and jr28schalm like this.
  7. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Hunters in Wisconsin are eating them without testing them all of the time now and it turns their brains ( or what they think are brains) to swiss cheese!
    [​IMG]

Stand By, junkman, Joe Archer and 3 others like this.
  8. skipper34

skipper34

Seeing as how I get an adrenaline rush from shooting any legal deer, if it comes to the point of not being able to eat them my heart would truly be broken.

9. Dish7

Dish7

My family can easily eat three deer a year and love doing it. But that is not the main reason I hunt. Just a huge bonus. I love everything about being in a treestand, so no I can't see stopping. Are die hard predator hunters eating all the yotes they kill?

sniper likes this.
  10. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

Ya i'll hold off on that for awhile. I doubt in our lifetime this will be an issue and i'm 36. But I do feel bad for the future of hunting.

11. hawgeye

hawgeye

I would be done hunting, I only kill what I'm going to eat. I am fine with others still hunting for horns, just not for me.

357Maximum and sniper like this.
  12. trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

This is exactly why where I hunt sees very little use of herbicides and I'll likely be building a crimper to terminate rye in the late summer. I only spot apply on grasses in soil that is tough to fully work up. I mix up less than six gallons worth a season.

I figure my exposure to herbicides, pesticides and hormones from what hits the grocery store is plenty, no need to soak my venison in it too.

mattawanhunter, Scout 2 and junkman like this.
  13. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Probably not, but if the fur is nice and prime they will sell the pelts.

ridgewalker likes this.
  14. brushbuster

brushbuster

Nope. I will still hunt deer, just like I do coyotes, fox, bobcat, I hope to hunt wolf one day. I don't hunt for meat, or antlers, I hunt because I love to hunt.

15. Stand By

Stand By

Gotta figure they would need to be hunted if there were any chance of eliminating whichever the disease of the month is. Problem would then be what to do with the carcass. You wouldn't want to leave it there to Fester into a hot spot. There would need to be collection stations.

rollin stone likes this.