close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's your favorite load?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Buckshot556, Nov 12, 2017 at 8:26 PM.

1. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

#4's at 1550FPS, Kent Fasteel, skeet choke, when shooting my 20GA. #5's, at 1700FPS, Sporting Ammo II, skeet choke, when shooting my 12GA. I sometimes use Sporting Ammo II, #3's if hunting mallards, but not often. I have had two boxes of those for several years.

2. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

I picked up a box of Rio #2 yesterday. They were all sold out of Kent. Will search the stores by my cabin this week for kent and do some patterning. Thanks for your help guys.

3. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Federal red box 3's have worked very well for both my husband and I for ducks.

We shoot Kent 3" BB at geese and it's always gotten the job done. For whatever reason though, I've had spent shells hang up when I pump my gun this year. Probably half dozen times and one full on jam. All with Kent's, other brand shells haven't been an issue at all. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

4. Shlwego

Shlwego

I've tried almost every kind of shell at least once. Hevi-Shot, Black Cloud, Tungsten Matrix, Bismuth, plus all the major brands basic loads, shot sizes, etc. Spent a ton of $ buying the latest and greatest. My thinking has evolved, and I just don't find that stuff necessary anymore. For the past three years I have shot just two loads. For almost everything, I've been using Fiocchi 3" #3s 1550fps. They're my go to load both here and in Manitoba for ducks, Canada geese, snows, cranes, etc. They pattern exceptionally well out of my Beretta's mod choke, and I really don't see a need for more expensive loads. But also, having to change out shot sizes is a pain, especially when the geese and the ducks are coming into the same field spread. Why carry #2s for geese and #4s for ducks when the #3s spit the difference nicely? The only other ammo I shoot is Kent #7 Teal Steel. This is strictly for cripple swatting and occasionally for close combat hunting in a Manitoba teal marsh with shots inside of 15 yards.

cruiseplanner1 likes this.
  5. lefty421

lefty421

I can miss equally well with just about any load, but Fiocchi #2 is my favorite.

The Reel Slacker likes this.
  6. Outdoors Fool

Outdoors Fool

Federal blue box #4's is what I have settled on. Patterns nicely for me inside of 25 yards

7. ajkulish

ajkulish

Love my Rio 2s. Just a premium ammunition with no gimmick. Very high quality shot, especially at the price. And very consistent.

8. Ash

Ash

12ga #2, 2 3/4", blindside patterns the best out of my gun. Also got a case of it for Christmas last year so it's all I've used this season. Seems to be smashing ducks when I hit them. Rarely a followup shot needed.

Winchester super x #4s work nicely as well.

9. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

I will be patterning this weekend. I'm not sure where the hell I saw Kent for sale I can't seem to find any at my usual stores.

What is a good range to pattern at? Max range you intend to shoot or multiple ranges with the different loads? I was going to pattern at 20 and 30 but not sure if it would just be redundant

10. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Pattern at the distance you plan to shoot that choke / load combination. A good pattern for that distance should cover a 30" circle.

Pattern for impact (where the pattern hits) as well as how good is the pattern at that distance.

I would recommend IC as a choke to start. And probably not more than Mod. My favorite is Light Mod. It can be too tight for close shots though.

11. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Also, patterning at 20 and 30 is not redundant... You will see a difference. At 20yards you'll want cyl or sk choke. Probably cyl, skeet chokes are made to put lead in a 30" circle at 20yrds, steel patterns tighter ( if you're really shooting them that close) 30 will be sk or ic.