close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's your favorite load?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Buckshot556, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I used to monkey around with carrying different shot sizes, but I think I'm done with that and am going back to 3" #2 for all. There's a reason this time of the year you can barely find that shot size on the shelves--because, although not the best for either, it's the best all around for ducks and geese. Ducks only, #4 all day, and honestly I would have no problem shooting woodies and early season mallards with #5 or #6. Just when geese are in the picture, #2 is that happy medium.

As far as brand goes, I really like Hevi Metal. I used to use BB or BBB when I am goose hunting, but I have found that 3" #2 Hevi Metal shells handle geese just fine and patterns better than the BB and BBB out of my tighter chokes.

2. duckbuster2

duckbuster2

2 3/4"- 3's fixed mod. choke.

3. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

The last 2-3 years I've been using Hevi Metal 3" #3s with my IC choke and it works on duck & snows great.
    I do agree with decoying birds I don't think it really matters. I killed a lot of ducks with 2-3/4 #2 out of my fixed mod 870.
    I just recently ordered a case of 3" #3 hevi steel for layout shooting just because its a bit cheaper and they birds are well within 30 yards most of the time.

4. Divers Down

Divers Down

4EE8AA0A-0F08-42E8-B312-4EAC25FAE085.png This kind of course

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Aaronjeep2, duckaddict and AaronJohn like this.
  5. 1predator

1predator

2 3/4"- 1 1/4 oz #3's fixed mod. choke.

6. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn

After using a box of Winchester 1 oz of #6 steel on small divers (Buffleheads) I think we have a new winner! That was out of my Browning A5 with a Carlson's long range choke.

7. Kingcrapp

Kingcrapp

Kent #2 and bb 3.5 inch. I shoot bbs at divers. Pattern master choke. I know if I shot a bird at 15 feet there won't be much left. I'd say this kills more birds for 90% of the hunting I do. Everyone has their preference. If I could pay for heavy shot I'd shoot #1 geese 3.5 and #3 or 4 3 inch ducks. Good luck and be safe.

8. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

My 870 loves the 2 3/4 Winchester 6 shot. was dropping woodies left and right in the beginning of the season.

9. craigrh13

craigrh13

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  10. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

11. craigrh13

craigrh13

They shoot fine.99.9% of the time it’s the Indian not the arrow. They are nothing fancy, no fancy gimicky wads, cool ads of hardcore face painter warriors, no ads of their sky blasting abilities, etc. just good old fashioned quality steel ammo.

12. OnHoPr

OnHoPr

Dang, that is a pretty good deal. I sure would like to get a couple of cases, one of 3.5" 2s and one of 3" 4s. But, I don't know, I am still shooting on a flat from the '90s and I haven't even taken the safety off the gun this year in about a half dozen attempts. I am almost starting to think about this avenue, bad year for me. First season in 17 years.

[​IMG]

No plucking too.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  13. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

IMG_0849.JPG
    Just got done eating teal sautéed in butter and onions with mac and cheese.

Divers Down and brookies101 like this.
  14. Canvsbk

Canvsbk

Change the powder to 800x and the charge to 1 3/8 oz. - my load for the last 50 years.

15. cruiseplanner1

cruiseplanner1

Black Cloud 3's. However we also shoot decoying ducks and only use IC chokes in our Maxxus. Black Cloud and a couple of others have a two piece wad and hold tighter anyway. You really need to go pattern your gun and see what you are doing. At 30 yards and an "excellent shot" you should be killing birds regardless of your choice of shells. Good luck and hope you find out what works best for you.