close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's your favorite load?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Buckshot556, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

I shoot 3" hevi metal #4, #2, and BB through my Mossberg 500 with medium choke. I don't know if it's because it's not lead, or I way over estimated the killing power of my shot gun but I feel like I struggle to kill birds. I'm a great shot, and 99% of my shots are aimed at the head of birds on the water inside of 30yds. (This is my preference as I'm learning to id birds an also not destroy the breast meat)

I admittedly never patterned my gun. I bought the hevi metal as this is what my hunting party uses and I'm new to the sport. I'm looking to change that this weekend and thinking to pickup a few different brands of #4 to pattern. Was thinking kent and rio only because that is what seems most available at the local store.

What do you guys prefer, money being no object.

Thanks

2. Divers Down

Divers Down

3. John Singer

John Singer

If money was no object, I would shoot nothing but depleted uranium.

Since money is an issue, and depleted uranium has not been approved by the FWS, I shoot steel. All of my guns have 2 3/4" chambers. For ducks, in 12 gauge, I use 1 1/16 to 1 1/8 oz of #2 or #3 steel at 1400 fps+. Rio Blue Steel, and Kent Fast Steel as well as my own reloads perform well.

I also like to hunt with my 16 gauge guns, I shoot 7/8 oz loads of steel shot at 1550 fps (published velocity). I really like #3 and surprisingly, #1 steel. I cannot explain it but #1 steel both patterns and performs very well from the left barrel of my Stevens 5100.

If you are truly shooting at ducks inside 30 yards, I do not think there is a brand or size of steel shot between #4 and BB that will not kill a duck.

Also, it is a good idea to pattern your gun. I realize that a lot of people do not but I do and I know full well what my guns are capable of.

BTW: If you are a great shot, why are you shooting at ducks on the water? They are harder to kill cleanly when most of their body is beneath the water.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  4. OnHoPr

OnHoPr

2 3/4" with 36 gr of Blue dot in temps above 35 degrees with 1.5 oz of #5 lead, I think it was a SP12 and/or WAA12R, back in the '70s.

TrapperJohn likes this.
  5. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

........Pattern your gun.

Shoot 4s and open your choke. Inside 30 your load brand or marketing scheme does not matter. Never under estimate a lead either.

Pasquan likes this.
  6. Pasquan

Pasquan

3” kent #2s and i agree with pattern your gun

7. Handliner84

Handliner84

I would never buy Rio ever again for waterfowl hunting. Pick up 2 case a few weeks ago from Rogers at 109 a case being cheap! Saturday was the first day I hunted with it and it kept jamming my gun due to over sizing of the brass and the front of my layout boat was cover with unburnt powder along with inside my gun. Sunday I try a box out of my second case with the same issues. Tried the shells in my friends guns and the shells wouldn’t cycle. Nothing worse then getting up to shoot and nobody’s home. For shooting clays rio’s are my go to. But i shoot a O/U and think they have them loads firgured out. Just my 2 cents. Just ordered 2 case of blindside as its My preferred load

8. dinoday

dinoday

I always shot #3 Kent until this season, it patterns better than 2's out of my gun (you have to pattern it!)
    I tried Blind Side this year and I'm a believer. It smashes them and I've had a lot less follow up shots once they're down.

9. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Cheap as possible. I have been fortunate enough to hunt at least every other day for years. I used to shoot high dollar loads they don't make a difference when you are shooting decoying birds(within 15-25 yards.)

My favorite shells are fiocchi 3". Shot size BB, 1, and 2's. My gun and choke absolutely loves fiocchi which I'm glad, saves me a lot of money. Patterns better than hevi-metal, hevi-steel, winchester Xperts.

I shot Rio once last year in a timber hole. Really wasn't a true test since that spot is in your fase shooting. Birds were finishing at 10 yards. I did drop a few that were trying to escape after we cut in on em, 30-35 yard shots. This spring I'm going to shoot some paper with Rio and see how it patterns.

Grab a handful of different loads, hang up some cardboard or paper and see what your gun/choke combo likes best.

I also recommend to stay away from 3.5" shells. It's not needed. I shoot 2.75" shells every chance I can, mostly shoot 3". The reason I stay away from 3.5's is less muzzle jump. You will stay on target better. When I quit shooting 3.5 shells years ago I noticed I was dropping way more doubles and triples per volley.

10. Tavor

Tavor

Federal Red Box Premium 3" 1 1/4oz. #3's. Fixed full choke. Whether flying or sitting, it kills ducks.
    My advice is don't shoot at their heads. I suspect you're shooting over them. Shoot at the center of visible mass. At 35 yards, my gun/ammo combo crushes a sitting duck. Rarely is a folllow-up shot required.
    One more word of advice; In rough water, the duck will be visible only part of the time, when he is on top of a wave. Then he will drop from sight as he drops into the trough of the wave and is hidden behind the wave in front of him. Take your shot when he is visible and rising, not when he is falling into the trough. That will allow for the lag from when you decide to shoot to when the shot charge actually arrives downrange. It is not uncommon to see people shoot and blow the top of a wave into spray just as the duck dips from sight behind it.

11. nichola8

nichola8

I switched things up this year as well, 3” #2 hypersonic...amazing but prob not worth the price. Next was 3” #2 blindside and Kent fast steel....both seem pretty darn good, the Kent is pretty easy on the wallet. If I was made of money I would stick the the hypersonic, but Kent and blindside has been waaaay better than the Winchester experts I was stuck on.

12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Federal blue box 3" 1 1/4 ounce threes. Browning b p s factory mod choke.

Federal one ounce red box 2's in the 20, extended full steel factory choke.

Sometimes Fiocchi 3.5" 1's for mixed big ducks and geese.

Haven't lost a duck this year, only one took another shot after falling.

TrapperJohn likes this.
  13. slwayne

slwayne

x2

14. cronkdre

cronkdre

That’s interesting. We picked up a couple cases with the same Rogers special. My buddy had a similar issue but it was only with one box out of the case. I’ve already shot thru almost a case of it myself and haven’t had a single issue.

15. cronkdre

cronkdre

My go to load is Hevi Metal #2 or BB if targeting only geese. Just recently picked up a case of Rio #2 and I’ve been very happy with them so far for $109/case. Shoot them all thru a kicks high flier modified choke at 20 yards.