close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what wt fly rod?

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by morefuninajeep, May 9, 2009.

1. kurtlind

kurtlind

2. Bear4699

Bear4699

Go to Albright Tackle .com....... go to their website they have great rods a unbeatable prices.....

3. Kutter

Kutter

First, as Gary Borger told me you must decide if you really want to get into this, fly fishing a sport that requires effort and dedication and most of all patience.

There have been many good pieces of advice so far, but in my opinion you need to be honest with your self and decide where you would be fishing and for what type of fish you will go after. I live north of Atlanta and fish mostly in small streams, and I prefer a 4 weight 7ft G. Loomis rod, I don't need to get more than 20ft of line out so this setup works great.

What to buy. Again as Gary Borger told me, first off stick the majority of your money in the rod, the least in the reel, select a top quality fly line, I use 3M Mastery and they cost quite a bit, the leader is up to the user, I prefer a soft supple, the reel for the most part is a money pit, in actuality its just a device to hold the line, most fly fishers use their hand until the fish is caught and once the line is run out they use their hand on the reel to act as a drag.

Following these simple rules you will keep your initial investment as low as possible and yet you decide if you truly want to be a fly fisherman. Its a great sport.

Kutter

4. Bruce210

Bruce210

As far as rods go, I would say that it depends on where you are fishing almost as much as what you are fishing for. Sometimes fishing with a 9'0 rod on a stream that's only 15 feet across with lots of overhanging branches gets a little cramped. Solution? MORE RODS! One can never have too many fly rods. Especially when you have a variety of places to fish. Sometimes you need a heavier weight/fast action rod to go after steelhead or salmon. Sometimes you need a 3 wt. slow action for light tippets and smaller fish. It all depends on personal preference. Try a few cheaper rods out. Figure out what you like the most, and then after you have some practice with those, go out and buy a more expensive rod.

5. SPORTSFAN1214

SPORTSFAN1214

lots of great advice from everyone
    I would stick to what the majority says as far as 5-6 wt
    maybe would consider 8-6 to 9-0
    personally I have a $85 st. croix 6 wt rod 9' long, medium action
    i use a cheap $26 redington redfly reel with weight forward line
    bought it all at Dicks sports

i absolutely love it for panfish, bass and suckers
    its easy to cast, very sensitive and cost effective :)

so for less than $150 you could get setup, I think very nicely
    i have been using my setup for 4 years and see no need to upgrade unless I start chasing salmon and steelies with it...for that i use my spinning gear

another note, check with Bass Pro they have fly fishing classes
    in the spring, i did one when I got started and they showed you how to cast...it was like an hour session...learned alot

but most importantly have patience and fun with it
    and I'll agree with earlier post "Welcome to the addiction"
    Its Great Fun:D

6. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge

A 9 foot 6 weight makes the most sense. Having cast hundreds of 5s and 6s i can honestly say that a 6 will cast the smallest flys better than a 5 will cast the larger drys and streamers. 6 hands down.

7. rvrwader

rvrwader

Looks like most people are saying 9' 5WT. Personally I prefer an 8'6" 5WT for Michigan streams. Just my personal choice. I agree go to a fly shop and ask to try casting the different rods and find out what feels good to you. In addition when you are starting you may get a free casting lesson. Remember they want your business and will do what it takes to get it. That's exactly how I learned to cast. Too bad that shop is gone now.

8. john warren

john warren

i would start with a 6wt. then you can add a 4wt or 8wt down the line as you move towards other fish speci

9. I started with a 9" 5 wt and am now using a 7'6 3wt. I haven't hooked any hogs yet, but this gets me on the water in some nice streams without getting in the branches above.

10. john warren

john warren

my f
    irst rod was a 7wt. i whipped water into a froth all over the country with it.
    it went by the wayside somewhere around kansas in the early 70's
    currently have an 8 and a 4 both probably cost a total of $120 with reels. lines the thing that bites the most i think

11. strmanglr

strmanglr

I have a 5wt 7ft I paid $30 for in a pawn shop. Came w cheap real I later replaced. Love that rig and wouldn't trade it for a several hundred dollar 5wt 9ft. I like small stream trout and smallmouth and it's a blast and keeps me from getting hung up.

Had a 5wt 8ft that was awesome too and for Michigan that kind of fishing is a great weight and size. Just really hard to find.

I would check craigslist first. If nothing there check pawnshops, they have a hard time selling them and can be gotton cheap. If I couldn't score either of those routes I'd go to cabelas. What's great about them is their return policy so if you decide its not for you, your covered, if you become suddenly addicted as I did, you can upgrade rt then.

Smallmouth and trout don't require anything special as far as rod n reels. Don't take that bait, spend your money on more trips and other stuff.