close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what wt fly rod?

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by morefuninajeep, May 9, 2009.

1. morefuninajeep

morefuninajeep

hello i am new to fly fishing and was wondering what wt fly rod would be best for a newbie i was looking at a $100 set up that bass pro sells it has a large arbor reel and a disc drag the sets con in 4-8 wt what would be best? thanks in advance

2. Troutlord1

Troutlord1

Depends on what you will be targeting the most!!
    If it is just small trout or panfish a 3 or 4 weight larger
    trout or bass 5 or 6 steelies a 7 and anything larger 8 and up
    of course there are other variables like just fishing dries or large streamers etc etc so if you want an all purpose trout rod go with a 5 or
    6 weight.If its open streams and such get an 8 1/2 foot or 9 foot to help throw streamers and
    fight the wind.

3. ready4pullback

ready4pullback

Get a 5 or a 6wt. You can do just about anything except for big fish with one. Bass, bluegill, trout, pike, you can always over or undersize the line by a weight depending on the flys you wanna throw. if you get a 6wt. you can always put some 5wt. line on a spool for trout or panfish.

StStutz likes this.
  4. Ticketripper

Ticketripper

If I was just getting into it , I would just buy something cheep. floating line and a few popers. When you go blue gill fishing you will be hooked. Then you will see how your arm feels and will want to spend some REAL money on something nice. Keep the cheap outfit for a friend to try.

5. Bull Market

Bull Market

I'm in the 5 or 6 wt school when it comes to beginners. Also, go for a medium action or medium fast action . . . easier for a newbie to cast than a fast action.

6. bc993

bc993

My vote would be 5 wt, 9ft for most Michigan trout and water.

7. cane crazed

cane crazed

i agree with the others. a 5-6wt. for a beginner will be easier to learn and will cover a wide range of fishing. stay away from split cane as you will end up without a wife, house,money or your mind. cane crazed

8. 8nchuck

8nchuck

He!! , I don't know . Just get one of each 3-4-5-6-7wt like I did. :lol: Then,,, start making your own like I did :dizzy:.

Welcome to the addiction.

Having said that I agree with the 5-6wt crowd. They will cast better and be easier to learn on. Buy some CD's or take some lessons. It will eliminate BAD habits and get you casting sweeter ,faster.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  9. gunrod

gunrod Mods

We get this question all the time. I've made it a sticky. Feel free to add opinions on rods and uses for different weights. This way we can direct new comers here. Please try to keep it on topic to keep confusion out.

10. DHise

DHise

I vote 9' 5wt. Most versatile configuration for trout.

11. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

i agree with Mr. DHise.

12. FISH BUM

FISH BUM

When you buy whatever you decide is best, spend a little more and buy the CD "Fly Casting Faults and Fixes" by Mel Kreiger. One of the best instructional resources available for learning proper fly casting techniques. It is just as important to know how to use the outfit is it is what to buy. Just an opinion!
    Oh yea, one more thing.... consider catch, snap a pic, and release. Start out with that practice and you will someday be happy you did!!

13. brushbuster

brushbuster

Seeing as this is a sticky i will add this when considering getting into fly fishing.
    If i could do it over again i would not buy cheap. I would find a good reputal proshop. not a box store type of sporting goods store that sells an aray of sporting goods but a reputable flyshop. Ask if you could try out some rods see if they will show you a few casts try several rods until one feels good. Tell the attendant what your wanting to fish for and chances are you will get set up right with no regrets on your purchase.Once you get set up ask for some casting lessons and rigging lessons. My opinion is if you get set up right you will fall in love with the art of fly fishing and be able to advance to new levels faster and better.

sslopok and keahyukchang like this.
  14. Bowshep

Bowshep

l have to agree with Brushbuster as corny as it sounds let the rod pick you. Its what you will feel comfortable with. I started off with one of the Fly rod kits Went to a Cortland (bought used) and now l am on a #6 Sage 9'. But before l bought it l must have had over 20 different rods in my hands. Are their better rods maybe but that Sage picked me and l have to trust that. Poop now l have to watch Star Wars again.

Ken

15. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

you fell for a sage to I started out useing my dads sage wenever I could get it away from him then got my own this winter and love it I used many other rods along the way but the 7wt 9.6 sage picked me