What would you do?

Discussion in 'Gear Restrictions and Trout Fishing Regs' started by alfred_in_cedar, Mar 17, 2017.

1. alfred_in_cedar

alfred_in_cedar

What if you watched a fishing guide break the law on multiple occasions? What would you do? I don't want or need drama, but just wondering how other Michigan Sportsman would respond? I dont want to get into specifics. But reg's is reg's. we all buy the same damn license and some make a living on our resources and some just enjoy them.

so, all crimes being equal, what do you do? Call him out? Have a talk? Call DNR?

please dont flame me. it's not a debate.

2. droptine989

droptine989

3. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Being a guide he should know all the rules but first I would ask him in front of his clients if he knew he was breaking the rules and if he knew that his clients could be held in violation, too. If his response was unsatisfactory or he ever did it again I would call him in. I'm assuming we're talking strictly about fishing violations, not violent criminal acts.

jrose likes this.
  4. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

What is the violation he is committing?

5. toto

toto

X2

6. buggs

buggs

A bread thief rarely gets caught stealing his first loaf........

droptine989 likes this.
  7. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

I think whatever the guide is doing must be bothering you.
    I personally would ask myself whether the violation was of a reg in place to protect the fishery , such as over limit violations , or the violation of a social management reg,in an attempt to get a tourist on some fish, secondly I would look at what would be best for my community, to have a tourist go home to his friends telling of how he spent a boatload of money on hotels, dinning, fuel, license and guide, didn't catch squat and won't be going back, or waxing on about the great time he had fishing in Michigan, because his guide got him on some fish, I've got no dog in that fight, it's your community and your neighbors that have the most interest in your fishery and the related tourism dollars.

8. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

If he is breaking the law call the DNR. It is as simple as that.

Jackster1 likes this.
  9. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

If he is chumming I think that the Conservation Officers are turning a blind eye on it until it is repealed.

fisheater likes this.
  10. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

The sins of others always seem greater than our own, I sometimes think some of these guys would have no issue calling rap on a minor gear reg social management infraction , while sitting on a freezer full of fish well over their possession limit and don't let them see you parking across your sidewalk or catch your grandchild selling lemonade without a permit, the law is the law and we need to be protected from criminals :)
    The original eyes and ears of 20th century social management enforcement
    [​IMG]

11. toto

toto

I don't see them repealing the chumming ban. The NRC is so deep in the pockets of fly fishers, there is no way to get anything done legitimately.

fisheater, REG, Treven and 3 others like this.
  12. Buckbaker

Buckbaker

X3

13. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

You guys are learning. When your social norms are different than other peoples social norms it's best to use social activism to change things. I don't think that clandestine violations are the way to go though. Call a LEO and tell them which violation you are going to make and where, get a ticket and fight it in court. Open civil disobedience is much more effective than doing it on the sly. The latter just makes you look like a violator who got caught and the former is a principled stand.

14. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

I've got no dog in that fight, it's your community and your neighbors that have the most interest in your fishery and the related tourism dollars. I just think it's a dangerous slope when people start with the brown shirt mentality of celebrating, ones calling in to the government on their neighbors, whats next merit badges for turning states evidence on your family, the KGB used to promote that.

jrose likes this.
  15. toto

toto

You two are unbelievable, we have laws for a reason, if the guide, person or whatever is breaking the law, it should be reporting, period. To show a picture of Nazis and declaring that is the face of those who fight social management is just wrong. What is wrong is using social management to dictate our hunting and fishing laws, and regulations. You, obviously believe that as long as it's on your water, or in your area then you have the right to do what you want, after all that's social management and it's what you and your neighbors want.

fisheater and frenchriver1 like this.