close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to do...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Socks, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Socks

Socks

I recently moved to Illinois and I can't use a rifle for deer hunting here (not that I ever did in MI). I was planning on getting 450BM but not anymore.

So I have a H&R ultra slughunter and I don't really like it. It just doesn't seem to fit me. I was thinking of spending some money on modifying it. Things like a better trigger, porting, and some how get or make the stock fit me better. Then a while back held a savage 220. It seemed to fit better so now I'm wondering if I dave my money and sell the hnr and buy the savage. Thoughts?

2. skipper34

skipper34

What about the stock? Is it too short or too long? If too short you can have a spacer made to lengthen it. If too long you can have it cut down. For far less money than a new firearm.

3. Socks

Socks

I always thought it was short but I held it up to my bennelie m2 and it was about the same. It's like the butt end is lower from the barrel center line than the m2 (which I shoot decent)

4. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

The Savage 220 is a great gun.

Socks likes this.
  5. sourdough44

sourdough44

I like the Browning A-Bolt shotgun, don’t have one, but a buddy does. The Savage 220 is a more economical choice.

I do the IL deer thing, normally I just use my muzzle-loader. Except for the instant follow up shot, it runs circles around my slug gun, trigger, accuracy, and a few other things. My shotgun is a Browning Gold with a Hastings slug barrel.

Socks likes this.
  6. Socks

Socks

I've got a cheap muzzle loader but I'm not really sure how good it'd up to 200 yards. I'd like to be able to go out to 150 yards.

7. Socks

Socks

The sad thing is every deer I've ever killed, not that many, has been with my 870 with a smooth bore.

8. Bucman

Bucman

I shoot my Encore slug gun down there. Shot quite a few at distance no problem. 210 the longest. Lots over 150. I like having the follow up shot and no smoke cloud. Lots of good shooting guns out there. Just put your time in at the range. And a range finder.

Socks likes this.
  9. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

I would try out a new stock first. Boyd's sells wood stocks for H&R's for less then $100, and if you put it on and don't like it you can return it. If you like it you have saved yourself a few hundred bucks. Few hundred bucks buys a lot of slugs.

10. ENCORE

ENCORE Premium Member

With the new modern inline rifles made today, add the right scope and the proper load, they're all capable of MOA or less at 200yds. Lots of practice during the off season and without fail a range finder.

Socks likes this.
  11. Socks

Socks

That's good to know! When i looked a few years ago i couldn't find one.