What to do with these rods

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mbirdsley, Aug 5, 2020.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

So I bought 2 wilderness salmon/steel head medium 9ft spinning rods 3 years ago. It was by accident. I wanted trolling rods for long lining out of my tin can. What can I do with these rods? I was thinking maybe bottom bouncer rods trolling for walleye. Since they are spinning rods you can’t really put a line counter trolling reel on them. To me they seem to big for river fishing. Probably make a good pier spoon chucking rod but, I don’t do a whole lot of that actually zero

If bottom bouncing what kind of spinning reel. It would have to be on the bigger side. I may have used them once

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 50incher

50incher

They might just be a tad heavy, but I'd bet they will make awesome Perch fishing rods !?....1/4-3/4 & 8-17lb ain't all that much....any kind of still fishing will be fun with them, imo....I fell in love with the 9'ish rods for Perch !! lol....

mbirdsley likes this.

3. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

I love my 9' spinning rod for cat fishing in the Saginaw River. Let me know if you have any reasonable thought about selling yours.

4. Waif

Waif

Used a 9 foot steel/salmon many years for a variety of fish.
    It had a fast tip , allowing panfishing in a pinch. Use gentle work if crappie.(!) Slow swing vs reefing on them.
    The length and strong butt handled bigger game inland real well...

Not sure what your resident lake offers , but if healthy bass and or pike , those rods will suffice. 3/4 oz. buzz baits and trolling heavy lures ,ect..

jd4223 likes this.
  5. Bucman

Bucman

Use them for flag poles for your boat.

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. piketroller

piketroller

They would make great slip bobber rods for whatever you are going after.

mbirdsley likes this.
  7. bapotter

bapotter

Several good options above. You can also strip the guides and put on casting guides making them the trolling rods you sought. Or, there are some braided lines that are metered (change color every 10ft) much like leadcore that could be used on spinning reels. I'd explore the metered line if it was me. Having a couple long-line spinning rods could be fun compared to the bulkier casting style trolling reels.

gundogguy likes this.
  8. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I did not know that about the metered lines

9. jd4223

jd4223

I use 9' Ugly Stiks with a Cabelas Stalt Striker spinning reel spooled with 30lb braid casting the pads with rubber frogs for bass. Also use them for casting to salmon on the Big Manistee and use them for casting and trolling for pike. Have used the second rod as a dead rod for catfish while casting spoons and spinners for whatever else might strike.

10. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

There’s are all good ideas. I could use them for trolling or live bait fishing. I have not fished for cats in a while but, I’ve been getting that itch to just chill on a bank or anchor the boat.

What size reels would you put on them. Definitely bigger than a size 30 reel. Size 40 might work on them. Not looking to spend a lot of money on them though

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  11. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Looks like most metered line is braid ? I guess I could just run a mono leader for some shock obsorption. Ideally I’d like to use them for walleye trolling

12. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

They would be perfect for river fishing hardware for Kings in about a week or two. Get a 3000 size spinning reel and some 30lb braid and a firetiger deep Thunderstick Jr. Or large inline spinner and fish the lower river sections or go to a pier and cast some glow spoons at dark.

Oh, and hang on...

13. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

30 lbs braid would work for trolling too so I could use it for both. Would salmon be line any with the differnt colors. I would use leader
    I be never fished for salmon in a river but, things change

14. gundogguy

gundogguy

I do know for a fact that NOBO No stretch Monofilment 12 lb is metered every 10 yards (30 Feet). Kast King Braid, in various strengths, is also metered every 10 yards (30 feet)

Hal

15. Northernfisher

Northernfisher Premium Member

I use my 10 foot steelhead rods with 4000 feels for:
    Pike
    Bass
    Steelhead
    Salmon
    Spotted sea trout
    Redfish
    Snook
    Spanish mackerel
    King mackerel
    Bluefish
    And
    Striped bass

I use them to through hardware, live bait, and trolling off the kayak.

So I do not get your question. My answer - fish with them

TK81 likes this.