What size shot for Geese

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by waterwolf45, Jul 29, 2020.

1. waterwolf45

waterwolf45

I am new to goose hunting but going to try it this year. 12 gauge 3" would like advise on both steel and would also like to try bismuth. Have been shooting Kent and Federal steel, #2 and BB and they pattern good at 40 yds, but noticed with BB there is a lot less pellets. Thanks

2. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

If I know I'm only goose hunting I'll use BB or BBB. Pattern looks thin, but geese are bigger than ducks. 60+ BB or BBB pellets in a 30" circle will do the job on geese.

#2s will kill them, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a goose-only hunt.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

jrose and waterwolf45 like this.

3. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

For goose only defiantly BB or BBB

waterwolf45 likes this.
  4. quack&honk

quack&honk

My favorite shot are 1s. They are just as good at killing geese and really knock ducks dead when you hit em. Downside is 1 shot is difficult to find in most brands.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

5. roger15055

roger15055

If we are only Goose Hunting we have found over the years for our group of guys that T shot works the best hands down. We have used #2 - bb bbb and you hit them with T shot they are coming down. Our group one guy shoots a Stoeger auto one a Mossberg 9200 one shoots a Franchi affinity one a Berretta outlander and I shoot a SBE 3 and I shoot 3” out of it so we all can pass shells back and forth. My two cents that’s all!

waterwolf45 and jrose like this.
  6. Ken Martin

Ken Martin

T's are my first choice. I used to hunt with some guys who swore that 3's were the best goose load. They also complained at the end of a hunt that they were tired from running geese down to finish them off.

waterwolf45 and roger15055 like this.
  7. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

If you look at the data #1 steel has enough energy to kill geese to 60 yards. I don't shoot farther than that, so I like to have as many pellets as I can that will kill the bird at the range I'm shooting.

Going to BB, BBB, or T just puts fewer holes in the birds, fewer chances of hitting the vitals.

Small goose in this picture was pass shot at a range the rest of my crew was not comfortable trying. Balled him up like nothing and would have taken another try into the flock if it wasn't my limit bird.

IMG_2457.jpg

BruceS and waterwolf45 like this.
  8. waxico

waxico

I still have a dozen or so 12ga. steel F pellets. Remember those?
    Word I got was they were banned because too many ditch pigs setting up on refuge borders were taking 80 yard high passing shots, and sailing too many birds.
    I use BB. 40 yards, any of the loads listed will kill geese. Even #2s. The key is knowing what shots not to take.

BFG, Zorba, Outdoor Gal and 2 others like this.
  9. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mods

early season versus late season.... early season 2's.... by the time the migrators hit us and the snow is flying... BB's

waterwolf45 and jrose like this.
  10. tdduckman

tdduckman

The best shot for geese is a well trained retriever.

After that I use #2 in heavy shot or bismuth
    BB in steel.

sometimes they hit the ground / water dead sometimes they start a race, see my first point.

TD

waterwolf45 likes this.
  11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I don't hunt a dog. I'd love to but the lifestyle doesn't allow.

We shoot over 100 birds a year, divers in Lake Michigan, woodies in timber, all the managed areas. I don't mind a tall overhead shot if the cover allows.

My crippling loss is less than 3% for the last 500 birds we've shot.

Some years it's actually postive as I find more birds I didn't shoot than I lose.

But the more I hunt with guys with dogs, the more I realize what I'm missing.

BFG, blklab and waterwolf45 like this.
  12. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I like #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. BruceS

BruceS

In 3" do you like the 1450 load of 1.1/4 or the faster 1.1/8 @ 1635 loads of Black Cloud, or what brands ans speeds?

14. Deadeyedeek

Deadeyedeek

B
    Black Cloud #1 perfect

15. Urriah

Urriah

#3 for everything. If it's good enough for a duck at 40 yards it's good enough for a goose's head/neck at 40 yards. IMO using BB, T, etc just gives you a higher chance when you body blast them and I'd rather not deal with the meat damage from the bigger pellets.

Also, if you ever get the chance to hunt geese over water where you can see your pattern it would open a lot of people's eyes as to how far behind geese they usually are. Those bigger pellets can have some huge holes in the pattern for water swatting too.

waterwolf45 likes this.