What size floats for Kings???

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by UBDSLO1, Sep 15, 2006.

1. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

For those who pin and float fish for Kings, what size floats are you guys using? Fast water, slow, medium flows? Also, are you using big chunks of skein or big bags? Any info will be helpful, thanks guys!!!

2. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

14 gram float should do you well...

3. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

pikers 11, 20, 28, and 40 grams

fixed floats i use 20 grams

4. Alpha Buck

Alpha Buck Banned

Kings are not picky when they are fresh, when they have been pressured or in for awhile sometimes a change makes a difference. Big floats for fresh kings and small ones for slow water pressured fish. They will bite big hunks of skein all the way down to single eggs, I usually let water and time of year dictate which.

5. shotgunner

shotgunner

40 grams = 1.41095848 ounces
    More about calculator.

or approx 3" magnum 12 gauge waterfowl load shot charge...:)

how far are you pitchin' these MP? or are they reserved just for windy 'duck' like weather? maybe needed to accomodate what you're driftin under them....?

Eco likes this.
  6. quest32a

quest32a Mods

Not that I am by any means an expert but I was using 8 gram floats w/o too much issue the other day. And that was on the PM with golfball chunks of skein.

7. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

thanks for the replys guys. I will write down the gram sizes and buy all different sizes for water conditions etc. I should have been more clear in my first post about skein or bags, I was looking more for float/gram size to match with the size/weight bait.

8. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

Sorry for the delayed reply but I just wanted to give a little input..........

As MP stated, pikers are a good choice for salmon pinning simply because of the fact they can handle a larger amount of weight (which you will typically be using for salmon to keep heavy/larger bait down in the strike zone) and maitain a consistently stable drift.

Alpha Bucks statement layed it out.........When kings are fresh, you could use a 2 gram float and probably be able to detect a vicous strike just from holding the rod (although I doubt the float would stay above the surface on the size skein balls/bags people typically use). You really need to just determine what to use by the current rate of the water and the pressure level on the fish. From this you can determine what you need, ie, "the current is quick here, the salmon have been pressured a few weeks"......a medium sized float would work good. You aren't going to be using a large amount of bait but because the current is fast, you need enough weight to keep it down and avoid too much drag from the surface current.

As far as bait..........I've had alot more luck on natural skein chunks, snelled to a hook, than bags (skein or loose). Big chunks for the first few weeks(golf ball size and up) and after they have been pressure a little while, quarter size and down. Not too say you couldn't get away with baseball size chunks the whole season lol but Michigan fish differ a little from those Kenai monsters! :D

Good luck buddy,
    Matt

9. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

awesome post hex4steel, thanks!!!

10. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

sorry i didnt see this sooner...

when i was out in niagara i found an appreciation for a float that big...

why simply due to what hex said to get the bait down quickly in the strike zone...

under that float im usually running a hefty trolling weight around 1oz. to get my skein wads DOWN...

also with a 12'3" meatstick rated for 10-17lb. test i need a larger amount of weight so the rod can load properly for bc casting as well as other charged spool cast methods...

but i also let the conditions determine what size float and what amount of skein to use...

it can make the difference between "fish on" or "why am i skunked"

11. shotgunner

shotgunner

MP, thanks for elaborating.

i'm kind of an UL type guy.... those numbers 28 & 40 sounded large to me. the 'meat stik' rod & deep water explained alot.

its interesting hearing/seeing what others are fishing.

have a good one... SG

12. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

Do you guys have different colored floats as well? Or does it make any difference at all? LIke clear body floats for gin clear water and the like, dark colored ones for darker water, and white floats for water that has a lot of foam(like soap suds) on the surface.

13. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

ive tried them all and haven't noticed a difference in that regard...

i have however noticed a difference in shape and prefer slimmer bodied floats over broader bodied floats...

to me this equals less drag in the water both when the floats goes down and when fighting the fish...

also depth plays a role too...

when im fishing runs, slots, and seams 6 feet or less i go with a fixed float...

anything deeper and its slip floats all the way

14. Hex4steel

Hex4steel

I used to color the bottom half of my bobbers with a black sharpie but only noticed a slight difference in hookup ratios. This was mainly in low/clear water conditions fishing very shallow depths.......If you feel like taking a little extra time it could make a difference but I would only say in very few cases.

"MOST" michigan streams are never clear enough to spook a fish from taking bait........

The "rapids" in Canada are another story..............mmmmm, vodka.

15. stelmon

stelmon

Hey Noah,
    Check your PM'S!