What rules and regulations do you recall from your early days of hunting?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by answerguy8, Nov 24, 2020.

1. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

Anterless rifle season was first 4 days in Zone 3....
    Only one tag all seasons....buck in firearms or a buck or anterless in bow season.....
    Turkey permits were for 4 days you had take them in to a check station that day....could only hunt to noon....
    Private Land preference anterless permit you needed 40 acres....then changed to 10....
    You filled out a computer punch card sent it in for a Anterless permit with a stamp on it was returned with your hunting area....did the same thing with early turkey permits....
    Send in a stamped post card to get a bear permit in the early 70's....returned post card was your permit....
    Sportsman License good for deer, bear, small game, trapping and fishing....$22.50....1/4 th of a weeks pay....

2. Biggbear

Biggbear

needing land owner phone number when purchasing antlerless permits

3. Big Skip

Big Skip

Lol wasn't that just last year?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

November Sunrise and 1morebite like this.
  4. fishdip

fishdip

A chance to buy a LIFETIME hunting license,I was 12 yrs old and wish i would of bought one.

5. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

I started hunting in the western UP in the late 60's....to get in to camp we had to cross 2 rivers the second one had to use a winch to help pull the trucks up the hill...was a group of old men that had a local logger with a 2 horse drawn sleigh bring them back to a tent camp they put up for the season....they dressed in all grey wool with fine red plaid strips had on L.L. Bean boots all used lever actions they were still hunters and very good at it....opening day they would shoot a spike for camp deer meat the tag was $5.00 there needed to be 5 in camp to use it....

In 1992 the timber company put in 2 bridges and turn a 2 track in to a 2 lane road....I quit hunting there in 1994 it was never the same and buck quality went down the tubes....just to many hunters killing any horned buck....

6. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Not being able to use a firearm during deer season until you reached 14 years old, was a great loss to Michigan’s deer hunting heritage.

KevinHort and 1morebite like this.
  7. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

12 years old for small game....

Waif likes this.
  8. Waif

Waif

A family friend and hunter raised an eybrow when I announced I could get a license at 12 for small game.
    Then said if I could prove it, he'd buy my license.
    When I showed him in the rule book later he gave me the 5 bucks.

I was not overly perceptive , as he had two sons and was a strict rules kinda guy.
    He simply had wanted to buy my first.
    (Thank you Ed!)

That first year hunting with him and my stepdad I carried an unloaded shotgun.
    (Never mind what I did at Dads prior , they didn't know.)
    But , their ways were their ways.
    Introduced me to game and fish and places from here into Canada.
    Safely.
    Missed a fishing trip (well was not invited on that one) they heard falling water on a not overly tame remote river and pulled the canoe ashore to check. No obvious portage trails meant you checked suspicious areas first.
    Moose hunters during fall , they got excited taking pictures of moose they spotted below the fall.
    Walked back to the canoe , hopped in , and went over the fall...
    Bent the canoe like a capitol letter L and dumped some gear.

9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

It was never a loss, because no one knew anything different. A lot of us old guys call that a tradition.

1morebite likes this.
  10. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I was probably in school with 700 young men that counted the days until November 15 when they could potentially shoot a gun at a deer. We threw all of the all of that away when we decided to arm children.

cwielock, miruss and 1morebite like this.
  11. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

And we've been losing hunters ever since.

1morebite likes this.
  12. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I remember when we use to hunt for deer ,not be at " War" with deer.

November Sunrise and 1morebite like this.
  13. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Gotta be a 1 percenter
    Or you’re just another loser

1morebite and stickbow shooter like this.
  14. Biggbear

Biggbear

Lol , could be I haven't applied for a doe permit in a long time. I thought I heard they ended that a long time ago, maybe not? That would be funny if I'm on here acting like it was a long time ago, and it was just last year. Ha!

November Sunrise likes this.
  15. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

• Duck season always opening on a Wednesday at 10am or noon.
    • Goose season was shorter than duck season and the limits were much smaller than today.
    • Waterfowl hours were sunrise to sunset. Frustrating as all get-out when you could hear Wisconsin hunters on the river not far away being allowed to open fire a half hour before sunrise while woodies and mallards kept landing in your decoys and swam away before you could legally shoot.
    • Grouse season opening on October 1, as did squirrel and rabbit.
    • "Locking" metal deer tags that just about every old timer figured out how to unlock for potential reuse.
    • Figuring legal shooting time did not require connecting to the internet. Hours were less complicated: 6am to 7pm for small game and 7am to 6pm for deer.
    • A time before "doe tags" were issued.
    • A sixteen day beaver trapping season (nine days one year) where I grew up with a season limit of 6 or 8. They also had to be registered at a DNR office. Now the season if over 150 days with no limit. You could also shoot them on the very rare occasion one was found alive in a trap.
    • Bounties on fox, coyote and bobcat and therefore no closed season. Seems odd we have to have such arguably severe restrictions on taking them today when they were not wiped out after several decades of bounties.
    • Wolves were not protected.
    • It was legal to hunt mink with a firearm.
    • Just about the entire UP, except for Menominee, Keweenaw, and possibly one other county, was open to sharptail hunting. Now just a small area in Chippewa and east Mackinac is open.
    • Bears legal in deer season. Only a mere handful were shot each year but nary a wool clad hunter didn't hope that he would be one of the lucky <.001%. A well organized special interest group apparently did not like deer hunters having an opportunity to shoot "their" bears so they successfully lobbied to got that opportunity taken away from a few hundred thousand of us.
    • One deer/year.
    • ground blinds only, including archery.
    • crow season was year round. FM