What rules and regulations do you recall from your early days of hunting?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by answerguy8, Nov 24, 2020.

1. answerguy8

answerguy8

I started hunting in the early to mid 70s and I recall that blaze orange wasn’t required yet. Deer hunters usually wore black and red checked wool or solid red cloth hunting apparel. Upland bird hunters usually wore all tan clothing. The blaze orange requirement has certainly saved a lot of lives.
    Another one was that on October 20th, opening day of pheasant hunting, start time was 10:00am. This applied not just to pheasant hunters but bow hunters too (if I recall correctly duck hunters weren’t affected by this). But also if I recall correctly the 10:00am start time for bow hunting wasn’t enforced stringently. What do you recall?

2. Stubee

Stubee

Man, I’ve hunted deer since 1963 and don’t remember inability to bowhunt on the pheasant opener? I may not have cared because back then my hunting was weekends only.

The back tag being displayed was a main difference and the introduction then requirement of blaze orange was a big deal. I was convinced that deer would shy away from blaze orange, especially if it moved. In the late ‘70s I’d take my orange hat off and lay it beside me on my little blind in a thick tag alder state land swamp, then wear my bowhunting camo cap. I’d put the orange cap back on if I heard a hunter anywhere nearby, but I only saw one hunter in 20-odd years in that swamp and he looked totally lost. I only did the cap switch for a few years because I figured out that deer weren’t alarmed by it at all.

I was in the state land where I mainly bowhunted around 1975 when I came upon a tree stand somebody had built and was shocked to see remnants of an old bait pile out in front of it! Poachers!! I called the sheriff or DNR when I got home to report this serious crime and they informed me that baiting was completely legal. So I gathered up dropped apples from an uncles yard and carried a few backpacks back to old that stand.

I was anticipating a parade of deer when I approached the stand before dawn a few days later, backpacking in yet more apples. The deer were there alright, but they scattered in the dark before I even got to the stand. I returned that afternoon and again tied a rope to my pants belt while I sat on that piece of plywood. The deer sure did come in, but they all started approaching after shooting light. I later hunted over other guy’s bait piles on their property a couple of times and did shoot a doe over bait when our camp insisted we do that, but those apples were my one and only attempt at baiting myself.

Big changes in regs included allowing two bucks per hunter and the intro of youth seasons. Both concepts probably seemed inconceivable to me way back.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

If I remember correctly we couldn't hunt deer in December in the Yoop or it ended on the 15th of December.
    4 buck tags.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    November Sunrise likes this.
  4. dpretired

dpretired

I'll tell you what I still remember clearly. In 1966, I was 17 years old and was out all by myself on my first duck hunt ever in the Beard's Hill State Game area 18 miles northwest of Port Huron. I was carrying my brand new Browning 12 ga. Auto-5 that I had made small payments on every Friday for a year at Doc's Sporting Goods. In the early morning darkness I could hear the ducks babbling away not far from where I was standing in knee deep water. I hadn't noticed any other flashlights or headlamps other than mine when I waded in to my secret spot that I had so carefully scouted out before then. I thought, "I got this place all to myself on opening day; doesn't get any better than that."

It was still dark when I heard this duck get up in the air not far in front of me, and here it came flying right over my head about ten feet off the end of my gun barrel. "Boom!" I let him have it and watched it splash into the black water about twenty yards behind me. I had no idea what kind of duck it was, just that it was shaped like a duck. I didn't bother to move just in case another duck wanted to try the same stunt. It was only a few minutes later when I heard, "Splash, splash, splash" and saw this man with a flashlight coming towards me. It looked like it was the old local game warden named Duncan wearing his hip boots with his gun belt on, and all. When he finally got up close to me, he said, "Unload that gun boy, and give it to me!" To which I said, "What's the problem?" And he answered in a very unfriendly tone, "You do what I tell you, and you do it now!" This old boy didn't seem like anyone I wanted to mess with, so I immediately complied with his order and handed him my brand new Browning.

As he looked my gun over, he said, "How can a kid like you afford an expensive shotgun like this?" I told him that I had a steady part-time job at the A&P store in Port Huron and that I'd been making payments on that gun every Friday at Doc's Sporting Goods for a year. Then he said, "Gotta ask you son. Did you ever bother to read your rule book?" To which I said, "Rule book? What rule book?" He then said, "The one that you're supposed to read before you go out hunting; that rule book. I suggest you go back to the store and pick one up and read it because what just happened here was I heard you shoot way too early in the day. It's not legal shooting hours yet. I didn't notice any duck floating in the water, so I assume you missed it, which is a good thing for you."

After that lecture, he wrote me a $14.00 ticket for taking a shot way too early in the day and suggested that I immediately leave and go back into town and pay it before coming back out again. Which is exactly what I did. When I finally got back out there to hunt again, there were so many cars and trucks on the road, I couldn't find a place to park. Some secret spot! Ever since then, I make sure I read the hunting rules thoroughly. And I've never been issued any kind of a ticket again either. Like the game warden said to me that day, "Ignorance is no excuse."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  5. wpmisport

wpmisport

Back tags and there was only a few hunting seasons listed in the hunting guide.
    Private property was not posted like it is everywhere these day, we still stayed to state land unless we had permission.

6. answerguy8

answerguy8

Baiting certainly has been something that has changed since the 70s. Hardly anyone did it then, but then if got to be a bigger and bigger deal. Soon people were bringing in dump truck loads of beets carrots and or corn.

7. Chessieman

Chessieman

Yep, Old Duncan was hard to beat for us in St. Clair County, I think John Borkvich was close but no Cigar. Doe permits ( they did not call them political correct) was like winning the lottery! During a rainy opening day of Pheasant every bar was full at noon.

8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Where I grew up it was still legal to hunt deer with dogs. CB radios were popular and we never realized this fun would go away one day. Other than sitting under a tree in a pair of blue jeans, it was all I ever knew back then and of course it worked.

It's crazy how deer hunting has changed with cameras, heated blinds, food plots and all that. Not complaining, don't care, but just making an observation. I saw an article a couple of days ago for the anniversary of the Windows OS. Version 1.0 came out in 1985 and they've been patching it since!!!

November Sunrise likes this.
  9. Biggbear

Biggbear

Back tags, 4 buck limits, no raised platforms for rifle hunting, 10:00 pheasant starts, no sunday hunting in many places, camp deer. As someone else mentioned, the doe permit lottery. I remember my Dad drawing a doe permit once, you would have thought he won a million dollars. Then at one point we bought one doe permit a day for $4 until they were gone for that unit, and they were never all gone in that unit.

10. ForestvilleJack

ForestvilleJack

No hunting on Sunday in the Thumb except on State Land. Made for 2 gun opening days a couple of years.
    4 buck tags 2 for bow 2 for gun.

11. ice house

ice house

shoot a bear with a deer tag, no bear season

12. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I remember applying for an antlerless tag in hope of drawing 1 for private land in Zone 3. Now they hand them out by the dozen.

13. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Lots of changes.

Mandatory Hunter Safety if born in 1960.
    Had to be 14 years old to deer hunt.
    Back Tags - Bow and Rifle Tags.
    Blaze Orange
    Baiting
    The first Compound bows - Then crossbows.
    Muzzle Loaders using round ball only.

Steel Shot for ducks and geese.
    100 point limits.

14. Wolverick

Wolverick

What ice house said.

Bounties.
    No raised platforms.
    The deer regs were on a single tri-fold page as were small game and trapping.

15. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

That is because back then it was the hunters responsibility to know where they were at all times, today its the land owners responsibility to post their land to the letter of the law or your land is open for someone to hunt until asked to leave.