what price range would i be in if i wanted to upgarade to a 20ga double from a Mossberg 500a?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by sadworld, Jun 26, 2019.

1. sadworld

sadworld

Im also looking for specific model recomendations for grouse hunting. My Mossberg is the only shotgun i've ever had and since i'm getting into bird hunting again with a new pup i am thinking about getting a 20 ga double. always wanted a double! are the ones i've seen that are less than $500 new worth it? would those in that range be an upgrade to the Mossberg? Thanks!

2. Waif

Waif

Good question!

I've had a double before ...And like the romance.
    An over and under will grant more options ,depending on where you shop.
    Ups the odds of shooting to point better too.

Rasputin likes this.

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I agree with waif, I love the over/under. Also love a pump. But, to be clear, I'm no ace shot. Buy what feels comfortable is my best advice

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. FISHMANMARK

FISHMANMARK

Stoeger quality is hit or miss. Light hits or Fail to fire on the second barrel. Easily fixed with a good cleaning and adjusting the hammer springs. If you find an older (20yr+ old), you'll love it. They have beautiful wood.

Stevens 555, have not had any issues.

CZ... can't remember the model. No issues.

On the used market, you can find a Beretta for $1,000.

Brian Berg likes this.
  5. plmbmaster

plmbmaster

I’ve had a couple of CZs. Good guns, never could get use to the safety. I’ve had Remingtons with the trigger guard safety. I found a 1187 20ga with a 21 inch barrel and English stock, great gun for me. Since your a mossy guy the safety isn’t a issue. I would also agree that a O/U is a better option. But to each his own!

6. UPaquariest

UPaquariest

Ill second the Stevens, Ive had mine for a year and a half and love it, no issues, lighter than the 870 I used to carry. I got the 555S model that looks nice, paid $600.

7. bearman49709

bearman49709

In your price range I'd look for a used Savage 311. 26" barrels should be i/c and mod, good for grouse, woodcock, rabbits and pheasant.

8. sadworld

sadworld

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. The stevens is looking pretty sweet if i don't find a used gun. The mossberg silver o/u 20guage is about the same price. Anyone ever comare these 2? Wondering if one is much better than the other or is there anything i should beware about on the Mossberg? They both look pretty nice and roughly the same price so....

9. shotgun12

shotgun12

i had a 20 gauge. and the kick put me off i cant shoot as well. so went back to 12 gauge.

6Speed likes this.
  10. cordesr1

cordesr1

All depends what you want out of it. I would highly suggest saving a little more and buying a used browning, beretta or other mid tier gun. you should be into a used browning for around $800-$1000 with a decent case and chokes, if its a newer model running invector plus choke tubes.

that $600 price point has a lot of junk in it for the money. Stoegers have a lot of problems with the inertia hammers. many times with lighter loads the second hammer won't set and your stuck with a single shot. Silver reserves use a very soft alloy in their receiver and wear very rapidly.

ATI and Tristar are a level below these price wise but arent that bad of a gun if you buy it with the intention of it being disposable. I would expect mechanical issues around 5k rounds but if your only going to bird hunt, who cares.

I think you need to ask yourself of you want a shotgun that your going to beat the hell out of and not care or do you want a nice piece to use and then pass on to your children when your done with it.

Gil Martin likes this.
  11. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

It depends what you prefer. My recommendation would be to visit a few gun shops and see what is available on the used gun racks. It might be possible to find a gun that fits, seems to handle well and at a decent price. All the best...
    Gil

12. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Budget around $1000 and look for some good deals from Browning or Beretta. For mainly hunting purposes I would include Ruger red label or Winchester 101 in the same price range (used).

My personal favorite is the Browning Cynergy... Used around 1000-1100ish is a good deal imo.

13. Brian Berg

Brian Berg

I like my Stevens. I have probably 3,000 rounds through it and had one small issue. The cocking cam got slightly out of adjustment and had to be reset. Gunsmith charged me $40. He said it was the first Stevens hes had come back to him out of the many hes sold. I have the Enhanced in 12 gauge. It was a little over $850 if I remember right.

F. Thompson and Stand By like this.
  14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I have been looking at the Franchi Instinct L model. Any input on this gun? I like the weight and feel with the 28" barrel. Seems as light as a 26" to me. The price is about $1050 for the L model. The LX has upgraded wood and some gold inlays for $1450. The L is a nice looking gun to me for the price.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  15. kappa8

kappa8 Premium Member

Go to a local skeet range and ask around to shoot several different ones. It's all about the fit! Each one varies in LOP, drop at heel&comb, and balance point, so getting one that fits you is all about trying different ones.
    I love O/U's and shot them alot for skeet and sporting clays. But when I go out hunting, I actually prefer autoloaders. They have a longer sight radius which helps zero-in on unpredictable flight plans. Of course, if you're hunting in heavy thickets, nothing beats a 26" O/U for portability & not hitting trees during your swing!