What line are you running on your spinning rods

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by On Target, May 9, 2018.

1. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Sufix Siege on almost everything from gills to salmon. Have XL on some of the 4# reels. I like the durability and softness of the Siege, knot strength is also good. Have used almost everything available in the past braid, floro, etc. and this line seems the best choice to me.

Trout King likes this.
  2. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I think maxima is overrated (not trying to start a war). I've been using pline forever and never had an issue. I bulk bulk spools of it so the cost isn't bad either

3. Trout King

Trout King

Sorry I didn't clarify well, when I said "overrated", I didn't mean the product, I meant the line rating. EX: 4 lb maxima UG is as strong as 10 lb Trilene XL.

IMO Maxima UG is overrated as a product. That memory...

wyandot likes this.
  4. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Got ya. I was going to say that really surprises me as I love my P line and have never had an issue with anything about it LOL

5. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

3x8 fireline, to 6# p line leader for every thing, except for flatheads then it's 65# braid, all the way to the hook

Trout King likes this.
  6. wyandot

wyandot

I like Suffix Elite. I can usually find 660 yd. spools fairly easy and fairly cheap. I've really come to like their hi-viz yellow over the last couple years as I'm a line watcher and I can't see the green or clear anymore.

7. strmanglr

strmanglr

For Trout fishing, 6lb trilene xl. I've used P line and liked it except the price.

For catfish, pike, dogfish, river bank bait fishing, 10-15lb braid usually power pro or spider wire.

8. fishinDon

fishinDon

For spinners and raps I generally run braid 6-10lb depending on rod and size of target trout. Then add floro leader if conditions dictate. IMO I catch more trout with a light leader than without and I rarely have issues with them breaking off (maybe I don’t hook many big ones?!) :)

9. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

10. Fishndude

Fishndude

I'll play Devil's Advocate for Maxima Ultragreen for mainline. Is it stiff? Sure. Does it withstand abrasion better than almost every other monofilament line? Sure. Does it's breaking strength actually exceed it's rating? Yep. Does it's diameter exceed the diameter of other lines with the same rating for breaking. Yep.

So, it is thicker, and stiffer than other similarly rated lines. And it breaks at heavier weights. I mostly like the abrasion resistance, since I fish for Steelhead a lot, and run into lots of Mussels. I feel it is the best overall line on spinning reels for most of my purposes. But I do have a spinning reel spooled with braid (for Walleye jigging), and another spooled with floating line, for float fishing (loaner). And another spooled with heavy braid for Kings.

Boardman Brookies likes this.
  11. cordesr1

cordesr1

8 or 10 lb Suffix Elite. 10lb september to April. Then 8 Lb for spring and summer. The smallest thing i throw is a F5 Rapala.

12. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

I was never able to use Maxima on my spinning reels due the the excessive memory & coiling, It is my go to leader material though.

flyrodder46 likes this.
  13. nyal

nyal

If I'm throwing spinners I use a 6 lb. braided line never an issue even with clear conditions. If water is high and murky I can even get away with fishing crawlers with a braided line.

riverbob likes this.
  14. Fishndude

Fishndude

Don't fill your spools to the very edge, and you won't have a problem. I typically leave 1/8th inch clearance to the edge of the spool. If you leave any line on a reel for a long time, it will coil. I usually change my line at least once/year, and often twice.

15. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

Nanofil doesn't coil up and it floats.