what is your take on expandables with an x-bow?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Martian, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Martian

Martian

The reason I am asking, is that I shoot a vertical , and own an x-bow. so now I have thought that when buying broadheads,( I know they make x-bow heads and that you should not use regular heads in an x-bow. ) I started to buy x-bow heads, to use in either. but lately, I have heard of a couple of myx-bow buds complaining that their mechanicals opened on the shot? I am curious if this is common, or and excuse, ( I have a few) for a bad shot?

2. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

I have used mechanical when PSE Mach flite with an over draw came out. Previously used thunderheads but could not get consistent until went to expandables at the time used spitfire. When crossbows became legal starting using them but after losing a deer that was well hit. I did some research and many reviews had deer being found later with the broadhead did not open on entry which allowed arrow to block blood flow. Since then I have been using Rage and the only thing is the old collars were rubber O rings that needed constant checking on to make sure the blades did not come loose from quiver or the O ring rotting and not giving the proper form fit. The Rage now come with the same as the crossbow with a plastic collar which prohibits early opening. That is unless you hit a twig, branch or something before hitting the deer. That being said those are the only expandables that I have used or have personal experience or knowledge of. Even with the new collars I still check them to make sure they are in the correct position before inserting bolt to crossbow. I have yet to have one that opened up from using a crossbow. The crossbows I have used them with were 330, 350, and just recently 390 FPS. Hope this information is helpful.

3. Team Camo

Team Camo Premium Member

No issues with these. Just happened to order a new pack last week.
    IMG_20201018_152012474.jpg

4. textox

textox

Any thing that says Swhacker on the box.Check out their u-tube videos.Heard too many horror stories about Rage.All good expandables will kill deer,shot placement is more critical than what head you use.Any diameter more than 2" is unnecessary and can result in poor penetration even with the fastest x-bow.jmo...

5. Team Camo

Team Camo Premium Member

Yep everyone is gonna have their favorite for sure. Rage has not failed me yet...:)

jiggin is livin and textox like this.
  6. textox

textox

The collars on latest version on Rage is certainly an upgrade from the o-rings on the earlier version.My concern is the blades break on them rather easily in my experience
    with them that is why i no longer shoot them.+ had one open prematurely(o-ring style)
    shooting at a broad head target.No issue with Swhacker as they use shrink tube to
    retain blades.The video "The science of slice"is an eye opener as to why some heads are just superior to others...

Team Camo likes this.
  7. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

My xbows are to fast for fixed heads, just can't get them to sight in perfectly.
    Centerpoint Gladiator 405
    Centerpoint Heat 415
    We use Rage Hypodermic Crossbow heads. All deer shot have been pass through.

I use Rage because I MUST have a rear deploying head. 2" entrance hole just incase it doesn't pass through.

8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

https://www.ebay.com/i/284031602114...a=1&pg=2386202&algv=DefaultOrganic&brand=Rage

With these you get a practice head of the same design. After sighting in with field point, the practice head was slighly different. Expect most or all are.
    You need a target that can handle a crossbow and allow for shooting a broadhead into. While the practice heads do not deploy, they will be had to pull out of the bag type targets. Gotta be a very dense foam. Not easy to find.

L & O

9. baycountyhunter

baycountyhunter

I use Shwacker 150 grain which gives a 3 inch cut. They are 4 for 4 with 30-60 yard recovery area.

10. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Got anymore info?

Did blades bend?
    Can u find 150gr field points?
    Did they exit?

11. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Spitfires work very well. Simple with no collar orings. Use them with the compound and x bow with great results

JimA, phantom cls, Joe Archer and 7 others like this.
  12. jonnyb

jonnyb

I really like the spitfire s they do well for me with my x bow

Joe Archer likes this.
  13. baycountyhunter

baycountyhunter

Yes you can find 150 grain field points, my excalibur shoots well with the 150 grain. I lose some speed but get more power with the heavier weight. My Ex cal is 400 fps but with 150 grain it is shooting 370 FPS.
    All exits and had one where the blade of one side bent a little but they also make 100 and 125 grain but the cut will be slightly less.

14. Martian

Martian

15. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

I’ve been using spitfires for about 20 years I think. Worked great with vertical, working great with crossbow.

JimA, phantom cls, Joe Archer and 2 others like this.