What is your standards of a good group?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Slimits, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Slimits

Slimits

Recently switching to barnes bullets after shooting tc shockwaves for years. I have tried a variety of bullets and none group like those shockwaves, killed a ton of deer with them but making the switch because every once and a while performance is bad with those bullets.

After trying a bunch of different loads and bullets i found myself chasing an unachievable goal. So for my wifes omega, 120 grains of 777 mag with barnes flat 250 tez im getting 0.5-0.75in groups at 100 yards. (Was holes touching with the tc shockwaves).

For my pro hunter ended with barnes 290 flats tez grouping at 1.25-1.75 in at 100 yrds with 150 gr 777. Groups with the boat tails with various sabots including harvester sabots never got better than 2 inch at 100 yrd. Most were 3inch groups. Did a bunch of testing with some other brands and never really got better either. I really wanted those boat tails to work better because of ballistics but they just didnt.

In telling this to others most im finding are more than happy with 2-4 inch group at 100 yards. So whats your standards?

2. jatc

jatc

1 1/2” at 100 yards for my muzzy.

3. anagranite

anagranite

I'm happy with anything 2 inches or better. The hardest part for me is getting a 3 shot groups with cold, clean barrel. I like to mimic the first shot in the field and that requires spending a few hours waiting for everything to cool down.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  4. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I found the same with my muzzy. I was getting pissed and my groups were getting more sporadic as I kept trying. Finally, I let it sit a while and when I decided to shoot again, I was back where I started. Then I realized it was from the gun getting hot after I remembered someone mentioning that before.

I shoot TC Shockwaves too, if I remember correctly. Yellow tip on the 250gr? They work for me and I never put more thought into it. Even a "poor bullet performance" from a .50cal will be better than most other guns. Lol

I have never not taken a deer off its feet, or had a blood trail Popcorn Sutton couldn't dance a jig down.

I would go back to what groups better and just run it.

anagranite likes this.
  5. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

I’d be comfortable under 3” Most my areas I don’t have that far to shoot. Do you hunt an area that has 200 yard shots? I spent some time years ago shooting and found that the 2 nd and 3 rd shots always loaded harder. To the point with some sabots I couldn’t load a third shot without damaging the bullet. What worked best was to clean the barrel, foul it with a cap blast. Then load in a shot and shoot target. Then repeat clean foul and shoot. I can say my cheapest gun has the best group of the 3 I own. Also I have help several co workers out just by cleaning between shots.

anagranite likes this.
  6. miruss

miruss

Are you shooting 777 powder pellets our lose powder ? My omega shot 1" groups at a 100yards with 85 grains of lose powder!

anagranite likes this.
  7. iboat

iboat

I can touch holes with a 300gr shockwave and 5 50gr Pyrodex pellets.

I am now switching to blackhorn 209. We will see how that does. Shockwaves have performed well for me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

anagranite likes this.
  8. iboat

iboat

Bucman likes this.
  9. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

What I shot in pyrodex (dirty) but why change what works... deer don't move after the shot 95% I've killed with the smoke pole.
    Hornady bullets, say 1 1/2" groups at 100. Will be shooting it soon if it ever freezes, drys up!

10. iboat

iboat

11. Chessieman

Chessieman

Shockwaves for me and swabbing every other shot. The holes must be touching at 100 yards, 1" apart at 200 yards with a Leadsled. But that was for the old days of last season. Enjoy this season up there, next year expect to use a centerfire!

anagranite likes this.
  12. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I stalked and killed several mule deer in West Kansas shooting a CVA Apollo w/ 2 pyrodex pellets. I converted the breech to 209 primers.
    I shot 250gr Hornady bullets. But! I took the time to determine which sabot worked best with my barrel and that bullet. I bought bags of them, and shot groups increasing sabot thickness in 1/1000" increments.

Best kill was a high shoulder, 28.5" , that stood up out of his bed to stretch at 235 yards.

That was by far my best stalk (across a cactusy/sagey) pasture. It took almost 4 hours from the time I saw the antlers until the shot.
    I had to lay there for an hour with no more cover to hide me.
    I was ready to stroke out.
    My scope at 6x would do 3" at 200 yds (Nikon with the circles)
    I held on his neck/shoulder intersect, and when he turned I slid the circle 4" into the wind, and BOOM!
    I stood to reload, and Brent said, "Don't bother...He fell right over".

Point is, you can tune your favorite bullet with savor thickness to hit better.
    Nice animal, mount rotted in a storage container. Tears.

13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

These are examples of what I strive for at 100 yards. Point of aim is 3” low. 5 shot group starting with clean barrel. One shot from clean barrel. No foulers.
    2F49BDD9-C781-498C-B14D-25D46327AECE.jpeg 202D0711-A995-42DA-914A-D6D37A06A936.jpeg

This is what I strive for at 100 yards. Examples of one shot from a clean barrel and five shot groups. It only happens, at least for me, with practice.

14. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

How much of that is load development, and how much shooter?

15. wolverines

wolverines

My goal is 1"

I have found improvements with going to loose powder, specifically Blackhorn 209 and less powder. My groups have tightened since going down, rather than up. I've also switched to the breach plug that takes a rifle primer as well. Still just shooting 250gr SSTs and 240gr XTPs