Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

What herbicides

791 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Phoolish 
#1 ·
What would be the best herbicides that will take care of these. During the period with no rain these took over my food plots in places.

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like first year common mullein. If you don't have many, pulling by hand is effective. Gly and 2,4-D ester will kill them, but you need a surfactant to help it stick to the leaves. They have a hairy texture, and liquids don't stick to them well.

They have a two year life cycle. First year they look like a cabbage. Second year they will have a tall central stalk which the seeds grow from. Pull them now, and move them well away from your plots before they grow seeds.

#5 ·
Gly with 24D plus surfactant does them in.
When you pull them up you will note they have long root strings. Not sure but pulling them up may spread them.
Simple dish detergent works well as a economic surfactant.
The surfactant helps wet out the gly/24D on the velvety leaves on the first year growth.
24D/gly works on 2nd year plants but best to spray before seed heads form.
They are persistent so you need to be too if you want to control them.
Disturbing the soil via logging seems to bring them on with a vengence.

#6 ·
or discing.

sounds like im just going to have to nuke the whole food plot. I have some red sorrel in it too. my original play was to leave half and let the clover thicken up and put brassica in the other half. that sorrel is a pain too. its trying to take over everything and the deer dont eat it.

#7 ·
If you want to spray the whole field go ahead. It doesn’t take that long to spot spray and entire plot. I tape a pop bottle that has the end cut off to the end of my spray wand to give each weed a shot of glyphosate. Even stubborn weeds like thistle die.

Reactions: Phoolish
#9 ·
If you want to spray the whole field go ahead. It doesn’t take that long to spot spray and entire plot. I tape a pop bottle that has the end cut off to the end of my spray wand to give each weed a shot of glyphosate. Even stubborn weeds like thistle die.
Its gotten pretty bad si i think i will have to spray the whole thing. when we had to drough i wanted/ should have sprayed the weeds that came up but i also didnt want to kill my brassica and what ever may have germinated of my rye, clove , and chicory. I need to get better at identifying plant when they first germinate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.