What happened to Aikido Pressure Points?

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Hackman, Sep 12, 2020.

1. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

There were cops with warrior mentalities back in the 70 and 80's too. I met a couple of them. They are just more likely to get weeded out these days, before they get 30 years in with the badge. I'm no [email protected]&&, like some of you here, but I know very well that I could submit many of the cops I've run across. Others....not so much. The bottom line is that almost all "victims" that are mistreated by police have pretty much begged for it. Obviously cases like Breonna Taylor are much different than those such as George Floyd or Jacob Blake...but my God...when you are getting shaken down...comply.

DanSS26, Ieatshrooms and sparky18181 like this.
  2. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Cops have to weigh their options in seconds. We have weeks, months and years to second guess them. I just hope that in every situation the taking of human life was the last option, not the first.

3. I don’t think martial arts training or pressure points would of had the outcome of the incident in Lancaster PA end any differently. If someone here does then please explain how

4. jd4223

jd4223

I was a Detroit cop back in the early 70's. At that time they used to teach boxing to the recruits. After 1974 when they had the mass hiring of female officers they did away with boxing and went strictly with Martial Arts and Judo. Sad thing today any officer using any form of physical force will be charged with assault. Doesn't matter what the criminal does to resist arrest. I seen the hand writing on the wall in the early 80's when having to use physical force when arresting a criminal. All reports had to use the phrase "Using only the amount of force necessary to over come the resistance of the perp. to effect the arrest".

5. eye-sore

eye-sore

This works great when your working with a cooperative person im sure. Try this for real and your dead lmao. A sore or even broken wrist isn't gonna stop someone if they are in a fight for their life. Plenty of you tube videos of wrestlers and boxers working over aikido masters. The videos of aikido "working" are obviously choreographed:nono:

6. plugger

plugger Premium Member

From a first responder perspective few, having not seen it themselves, realize the devastating effects one punch from a strong man can have. Fractured skulls or eye sockets,
    brain bleed, can change a persons whole life in a second.

UBDSLO1, sparky18181, Josh R and 3 others like this.
  7. hypox

hypox

8. plugger

plugger Premium Member

JimP likes this.
  9. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Why don't ya let your wife try it on you?

I get your point though, there is no one move thats going to incapacitate someone, you have to know what to do next.

10. eye-sore

eye-sore

That's kind of my point lol. I am not willingly giving anybody my wrist like in the demos

11. swampbuck

swampbuck

Why bother with pressure points, if they are a threat to the life of a cop or anyone else, they do not deserve to live in civilize society. Shoot Them.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

fanrwing likes this.
  12. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

When properly trained, you can defend against an attack and disable the perp with a series of combined moves that brings them under control. And yes, there are several places that you can strike someone that will incapacitate a person with one blow.

There are multiple levels of threat, and that is the reason for different levels of response to those threats. Shooting someone who poses any kind of threat, simply leads us to where we are today.

MichiFishy likes this.
  13. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

I should have worded my post differently, but you said it better.

14. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Less career criminals and more room in prisons.

Mole Hill likes this.
  15. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Plus more protests and riots that so many can't understand why they are happening.

Vicious Circle - Chicken or Egg - Cause and Effect.