What camo to use?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by runs with fire, Aug 19, 2020.

1. runs with fire

runs with fire

I'm planning on hunting again this year. I don't have any nice camo like guys like yo use these days. I have a set of woodland bdu's, a snow camo fabric poncho, and a jungle stripe jacket. At one point, I had an d mossy oak jumpsuit, but I haven't seen it in years. My woodland is old, stained, and fairly dark, while my jungle stripe jacket is a lighter green. I would think that I can wear the woodland pants and then swap jackets as needed with the environment.
    Is there any big reason why I should instead try and drop $200 on a modern hunting camo?

November Sunrise likes this.
  2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

No, unless you feel the need to stimulated the economy.

jrose, TriggerDiscipline and d_rek like this.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

4. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Spend the money on warm base layers, way more important In my opinion.
    Flight

U of M Fan, Urriah, Namrock and 7 others like this.
  5. Randall Stevens

Randall Stevens

Don't forget a orange hat.

sniper likes this.
  6. Waif

Waif

Contrasting patterns between upper and lower clothing is not good or bad ,IF it suits your background.
    I often wear a contrast , figuring it breaks up the size of my "blob" in a profile.
    Have had hats I swear deer could find. But was more likely my head moving...

No real magic of a given pattern, though it is debatable.(!)
    Shade vs sitting in the sun can help.
    I do agree with not using regular detergent with color enhancing stuff /U.V. brighteners to wash hunting cloths.
    Better to only use baking soda if a non U.V. enhancing detergent is not at hand.

Namrock likes this.
  7. Fool'em

Fool'em

I seldom wear camo when firearm hunting. I usually wear carharts when it’s cold and I am going to be sitting around.
    Shot my biggest buck wearing blue jeans and a lime green highway construction sweatshirt. (Got the bow case in the truck forgot my tote of clothes).

probably more important to not move too much and not make too much noise and stay downwind of the deer.

Woodsmanship trumps expensive gear in my opinion. Even my “Sunday Best “ camo is all second hand or a couple things as gifts over the years.
    Don’t worry about it just get in the woods and enjoy the hunt.
    I do buy good ammo, boots and glass. Some things are worth spending the money on in my opinion camo is not one of them

I am kind of a hypocrite though because I did just buy a coat and pair of pants that totaled over $500. But that’s specialty stuff for an out of state hunt. I only got camo because that’s the only way they come. It probably won’t get used here in MI.

Bob Foster and stickbow shooter like this.
  8. skipper34

skipper34

I am a camo nut I admit. I just dropped $800 on new Kryptek Highlander, for early and late season. After last year's frigid firearm season I decided to invest in some high quality warm hunting clothing. But I will be the first to admit that most of today's camo is made to sell, not to hide hunters. So call me a hypocrite I really couldn't care less. I like the Kryptek because it is on a par with Sitka and Kuiu but at a much lower price point.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  9. sniper

sniper

We’re you getting picked off by deer back when you hunted? If so you need to do something about your wardrobe. If not, rock the 90’s gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

10. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

For bow hunting wool is your best bet it's warm and the deer don't seem to notice it. I quit the camo thing when the military wanted theirs back after 24 years. They were getting kind of ratty looking.

11. monczunski

monczunski

they cant see you if they cant smell you! (assuming you're not doing jumping jacks) just keep the wind in your face and the deer in front of you.

12. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I concur; Deer see movement much more than color.
    <----<<<

13. fishnpbr

fishnpbr

I have a cousin who has killed more archery deer than most. He wears nothing but jeans and plaid flannel.

14. I really appreciate good clothing for hunting. So much of the lower end stuff is junk. I wouldn't worry at all about the pattern of camo, but get some quality, water resistant, durable hunting clothes, you will keep them forever and be glad that you have them.

15. scubajay

scubajay

As many have stated here, signature management is impacted by movement far more than camouflage clothing.