What batteries for 24v 70lb thrust I-pilot?

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Fur n Fins 1982, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

Just looking for recommendations from the guys that have that motor I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one and just curious how much I'm gonna have in batteries I just bought the everstart 27 series for my other motor thinking I'll have to upsize

Sportsman777 likes this.
  2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

A pair of big Delco Voyagers or Dekkas. Delco makes some huge ones, so measure the space you have before just buying battery..........

3. tubejig

tubejig

Deka dc31 is good one.

white eyes, ESOX and Dbrax2 like this.
  4. msfcarp

msfcarp

I have a pair of group 29’s from Walmart, this is their third season. I have A Terrova with I-pilot, 80#.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

5. scubajay

scubajay

One of the best ways to compare batteries that will be used for a trolling motor is to look at their Reserve Capacity (RC) rating. RC is a standardized specification that provides an apples to apples comparison from one battery to the next. RC is a time measurement that details how long a fully-charged battery can deliver 25 amps of current in an 80°F-environment, before the battery is discharged down to 10.5 volts.

In the case of a group 31 battery, a good one's RC should be greater than 200 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    RedBlazer likes this.
  6. Walleye Wizard

Walleye Wizard

A ? for wiring the 24 volt system? Is there a need to wire the breakers in the wire connecting the 2 batteries or just use 6 guage wire? I just bought a used maxxum 74 lb and wondering how to best connect a male plug to the bare trolling motor wires.

7. tubejig

tubejig

There is no need to put a breaker in the wire that jumps from the positive on one battery to negative on the other. The only breaker you will use should be put on the positive line that runs to the plug in the bow. That's if you plan on running them in series, which is the way it appears to be.

To connect the plug to the bow mount, simply pull the screws out of the plug and the connectors will be right there in front of you. Loosen the screws, put the wires inside of the crimp, and tighten. Make sure those screws are tight and making a good connection. Just be sure the wires are in the correct place so the polarity is not reversed at the plug.

8. Walleye Wizard

Walleye Wizard

Thanks tubejig! I guess that means I should get a new outlet for the new plug? I was going to use the same plug on the boat but this sounds like a better option.

9. tubejig

tubejig

If you are not confident of the condition of the old plug, purchase a new male and female.