What are you seeing?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by ryan-b, Oct 19, 2020.

1. ryan-b

ryan-b

Can say this has been my worse season to date. I hunt Kalkaska, GT, and benzie co. Not only has my time out been very limited due to simply being to busy with two jobs, but my normal go to covers are holding very few birds. I’m also sure the amazing of hunters I’m seeing isn’t helping much. Used to have nearly every cover I hunt to myself now every time I’m picking up someone’s spent shells out of them. Time to find some new spots.

shaffe48b likes this.
  2. skidoojc

skidoojc

3. cwk33041

cwk33041

I was over in the Mark Knee GEM over the weekend. Not the best conditions (rain and super windy) but only had one flush. I will say I am pretty new to the game, but there seems to be more traffic this year then last. One day I will get one of these birds.

4. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

LOTS of Woodcock around Kent County. Very few grouse, even in the best spots.

5. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

The LeeGrande gem was metro airport saturday.
    Had to go crazy deep to get 1 bird.

Proximity and Popularity has an effect.

6. cruiseplanner1

cruiseplanner1

We are not seeing many grouse at all and few woodcock. Hunters are everywhere in the Glad GEMS we have been hunting for many years now before it even was a GEM unit. Woodcock may yet be coming but i prefer to hunt grouse rarely shoot at Timberdoodle's

7. sportsman98

sportsman98

Hunt just south of you. Same thing. Covers that held multiple birds last year are holding one or two this year and they are as spooky as I've ever seen and that includes woodcock. I'm pretty much reduced to hunting on weekdays only because of the pressure.

The pressure started in March with steelhead and hasn't let up all year.

8. Stand By

Stand By

So many "working from home" this year, while many of us are still stuck at work.

skidoojc and sportsman98 like this.
  9. ryan-b

ryan-b

With all the pressure turkey season on public land was freaking brutal! Was happy as a clam just to take a jake the last day.
    Yes I’m also seeing more wild flushing birds. I run my dog silent with only a gps as well.
    Even seeing woodcock flushing far out ahead at times which is very odd.

ezcaller likes this.
  10. sportsman98

sportsman98

I've had three or four woodcock flush at 20-25 yards from me this year. Also have had a couple that ran a ways before flushing. So long, that I was sure the dog was tracking a grouse but then a woodcock gets up.

11. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

My covers have definitely not been better but not significantly worse than last year.

A thing about other hunters is conceal your vehicles. A lot of inept hunters can't find their own spots and troll around looking for other hunters parked and just hunt there. Or they see you and tell their bird hunting friends. I had my truck out one weekday morning in an out of the way area and people on atvs watching me leave only to find another hunter there Saturday morning.

12. fordman1

fordman1

They are flushing farther away this year because they don't have a Mask and don't want to catch the 19 from you.

13. Kevin Moeller

Kevin Moeller

I've learned how to use the other hunters to my advantage. Find the aspen stands that get crushed and hunt the forest around them. Doesn't have to be grouse cover at all. The birds get pushed into there and often those more open woods make them easier to kill.

14. ryan-b

ryan-b

I always run the edges. Still not much for birds

15. Gnoyes

Gnoyes

Bird numbers seem pretty good to me. I saw more hunters on the two tracks and roads opening week then I’ve seen over the last 4 seasons combined. Couldn’t go to the hardware store without seeing a couple orvis models with bird dogs riding shotgun in their Toyotas or a crate in the bed. Hopefully it doesn’t stick.

I’ve almost never run into another bird hunter on the ground and see very few tracks and shells.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020